Game calls

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from hanau

hanau

I was asked at work about making calls, Told them I never have touched any type of calls in my life but I would give them a try.

Here are my first calls.

First one is a single reed Duck call made with Eucalyptus wood and a CA finished buffed out with Tripoli and White Diamond

photobucket-1132-1336930289844.jpg

2nd one is a double reed duck call made with Mesquite from Arizona with Purple Heart and a silver solder ring. Finished with a CA finished buffed out with Tripoli and White Diamond

photobucket-2070-1336930269765.jpg

3rd is a deer grunt with just a wax finish.

photobucket-23420-1335289964220.jpg

Thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

Three good looking calls, John. The real use is in calling game and no matter how beautiful they are, if you do not know how to make them work, then they are of no use. That simple fact is the primary reason that I have never tackled calls. Hopefully, your beautiful creations will turn out to be a great hit and have the hunters over run with their desired game. Very good looking calls, congratulations.
Charles

hanau

I still have to learn to how to properly use them. I have a buddy who is a hunter and has show me how to use the deer grunt and squirrel calls(no pictures daughter has it some wheres).

Squirrel call was made for my 15 yo daughter who just got her drivers learning permit and has already ran 2 squirrels over in the last week. Gave it to her and told her to call the squirrels before she drives so they can stay off the road.

I just have to find someone to show me how to use the duck calls.

hanau

I like the look of them. Really like the one with the purple. Any secrets you would like to share about making one? I just bought one yesterday to try.

If you haven't been to Tho Game Calls Forums - Index there is a lot of info there.

Only advice i can share is that you blow thru it to make it work and to test fit your tenons while turning to make sure they fit good.

SDB777

I like the look of them. Really like the one with the purple. Any secrets you would like to share about making one? I just bought one yesterday to try.

If you haven't been to Tho Game Calls Forums - Index there is a lot of info there.

Only advice i can share is that you blow thru it to make it work and to test fit your tenons while turning to make sure they fit good.

Here is a friendly site to help:
>>>Custom Calls<<<

Some great looking calls though!!

Scott

Last edited:

Rick P

If you thought pens could be complex and have about 400 ways of doin the same thing you aint seen nothing yet! Voice is everything with calls! If the ducks dont like it its a decoy weight. The throat of both the body and reed block need to be worked some inside as well as out. A larger resonance chamber means a deeper voice, narrower throat in the reed block/mouth piece harder to blow constantly. Duck calling isn't that hard it's mostly variations on the quack. Geese and cranes on the other hand have a much wider vocal range. And honestly I dont even know why they make a squirrel call, pretty simple to do by sucking on the back of your hand to make a quick chirp.

I would think there are more than a few waterfowl guys in your neck of the woods.....good luck in your journey, game calls and how to use them in the field can be a life long study!

Top Bottom