Fuel pump...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AceMrFixIt

I hope the fuel pump on my truck is the problem cause its a PITA to change it. Its my first time and its in the gas tank. Hardest part so far is getting the gas tank out...........hope it goes back in easier.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jbostian

Good luck. I have done 3 fuel pumps so far. The last one was on a Pontiac Fiero. That was a fun job. I have found on the fuel pumps I have done they actually went back together pretty well.

Jamie

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Depending on the truck, it might be easier to take the bed off, espescially if it's a Ford Ranger.

AceMrFixIt

F-150, took a few hours to get the tank off, 5 min to change the pump.......what goof ball came up with that design? If ever again the bed is coming off. Started putting the tank backi on and the rain shut me down. Tomorrow........

EBorraga

In Memoriam
I should of seen this earlier, as I could of warned you. Ford's are much easier to take the bed off. That one bolt that is upside down is a Bi#$h with the bed still on.

sdemars

Don't chunk it . ..

Don't chunk it . . . the old fuel pump that is . . . make sure there is not a rash of fuel pump failures in your area . .

Call a few independent shops and the local dealership service departments . . . .

If there are a lot of failures in the area, they may make it good for you . . .

It won't take the dealers but a few "warranty" jobs before they jump on it . . .

My first claims job was working "BAD GAS" claims caused by bad gas from SHELL . . . .

Steve

Gregf

The pump in my 98 F150 stranded me on the way home from work a few weeks ago.
Had it towed to a dealer.
Talk about a BOHIC moment.
$500 for the pump and $500 labor.

chiefgreen

Fuel pumps! Rick you are changing yours and I am reading more about the Ford pumps and bad pumps from the suppliers here on this thread. I have a '07 Titan, just got a recall notice in the mail, "fuel pump needs changing, gives wrong readings." Wonder if there is a shot for the fuel pump virus?

rjwolfe3

My Ford truck is sitting right now because it needs a fuel pump. Problem is there are three of them. I am going to start with the external one first since that once is easy to get with. I'm scared to take the bed off - the truck is held together with rust and dirt.

tim self

Whatever it's on and whenever you do it, make sure you change the fuel filter as well. I've probably replaced 100 or so over the years and most are due to a clogged filter and caused the pump to over work.

My fuel pump on the '91 Ranger works great... the gas gauge reads 'E' at all times... only time it ever moved, noticed one day I had 1/2 tank of gas... as I drove and the mileage went up, so did the gas gauge... at 340 miles (my normal fill up point) the gauge read 'full'.... it was a lie... two mechanics tell me it would cost about $300 for a new fuel tank and gauge + labor.... the truck is probably only worth about that amount.

EBorraga

In Memoriam
My ranger has the same problem. I'm a damn mechanic and won't fix it. It gets 300 miles before you gotta start walking to the gas station.damhikt:biggrin:

Top Bottom