From a rookie

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from YoYo

YoYo

The red one is obviously a failure. Love turning pens.😊 I enjoy it very much.

Attachments

• 20230531_065955.jpg
    20230531_065955.jpg
    268 KB · Views: 140
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

woodwzrd

Nice pens for a "Rookie". I wouldn't call the red one a failure. It's a learning experience and it looks like it can be saved. It looks like you just pressed the transmission in to far. Nock the nib out and slowly press the transmission back about an 1/8". You'll have to slip a piece of dowel with a 7mm hole drilled in it over the trans to press the nib back in but then you can adjust the trans depth so the refill doesn't protrude so far.

derekdd

It takes a few to get the feel for how far down to turn at the bushings.

Truthfully, I find the Slimline more unforgiving than many of the other kits out there.

I just got back to turning 5 months ago after a 25 year layoff and had to turn a dozen or so slimlines before I felt comfortable with them again.

Keep up the good work!

Woodchipper

Nice for the first ones. The "trick" is to go slow, periodically, take the pen out of the press, try the tranny and a refill. You will be able to see where to stop before the final fitting.

YoYo

Nice pens for a "Rookie". I wouldn't call the red one a failure. It's a learning experience and it looks like it can be saved. It looks like you just pressed the transmission in to far. Nock the nib out and slowly press the transmission back about an 1/8". You'll have to slip a piece of dowel with a 7mm hole drilled in it over the trans to press the nib back in but then you can adjust the trans depth so the refill doesn't protrude so far.
😱 Knock the nip out? It will damage or scratch the pen, don't you think? I'm so tempting to try it as this "too far" bothers me 😔

RKB

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
This tutorial in our library is pretty much what I use to disassemble slimlines, but in this case, you only need to use a 1/8" punch to knock out the nib, then use a 15/64" punch to tap the transmission back just a small amount. You should be able to do this while holding the barrel of the pen with a non-scratching gripper. Been there - done that several times.

Legato_J

This tutorial in our library is pretty much what I use to disassemble slimlines, but in this case, you only need to use a 1/8" punch to knock out the nib, then use a 15/64" punch to tap the transmission back just a small amount. You should be able to do this while holding the barrel of the pen with a non-scratching gripper. Been there - done that several times.

Since I don't have the transfer punches, I use long Allen wrenches. Just make sure you have a towel, to prevent dings / dents, under the end you're trying to knock out.

Mike

I bought the pen press from Penn Ptate several months ago and it has paid for itself already by saving pens I needed to disassemble to make adjustments or repairs. (I get in too big a hurry sometimes). You can assemble and disassemble pens. With experience, you discover the best angle for the press handle for depth control when pressing in transmissions. I also was able to go back and redo the finish on some of my first pens and make them much nicer.

There are more expensive presses available, but so far the Penn State press is working great.

Mike

derekdd

I bought the pen press from Penn Ptate several months ago and it has paid for itself already by saving pens I needed to disassemble to make adjustments or repairs. (I get in too big a hurry sometimes). You can assemble and disassemble pens. With experience, you discover the best angle for the press handle for depth control when pressing in transmissions. I also was able to go back and redo the finish on some of my first pens and make them much nicer.

There are more expensive presses available, but so far the Penn State press is working great.

Mike
I have it, also and really like it for both assembly and disassembly.

$75, but worth it.

Top Bottom