Folding knife from kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from arjudy

arjudy

I got this knife kit from Northcoast Knives. It is called a Hitech Folder and can be found at the following link. http://www.northcoastknives.com/northcoast_knives_Specials.htm

I didn't like the scales that came with the kit so I made my own from some scrap curly maple I had. I also fit the scales flush to the liner of the knife. The original kit had scales that were approximately 1/16" smaller than the liner. I finished the scales with spray laquer.

Attachments

• Knife 1.jpg
    Knife 1.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 274
  • Knife 2.jpg
    Knife 2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 254
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Grizz

Banned
Really nice! Did you just sand down the edge grips or did you try routing?

les-smith

Great job. I've been looking at doing a knife kit. After seeing yours I think I might have to order one. Looks great.

arjudy

Thanks guys. I used the original scales to locate the screw holes in the new scales and attached them to the knife kit sans the blade. I then sanded the scales flush with the liners using an oscillating spindle sander and then used a palm sander to shape the scales to what you see in the photos. I did not use a router. I then finished sanding the scales by hand and followed up with the laquer.

Last edited:

pipecrafter

Careful there!! A knife kit got me started on a slippery slope about 5 years ago, and I've been speeding downhill ever since. Now I've got a couple forges, dedicated propane tanks, a half-finished electric heat treat oven, piles of raw steel, and more ideas than time. It's fun though!

arjudy

Careful there!! A knife kit got me started on a slippery slope about 5 years ago, and I've been speeding downhill ever since. Now I've got a couple forges, dedicated propane tanks, a half-finished electric heat treat oven, piles of raw steel, and more ideas than time. It's fun though!

It amazes me how addicting this stuff can be!!:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

pipecrafter

My wife always cringes when I tell her I want to try something new - she's pretty sure it's going to turn into another one of those things that sucks up a bunch of money. :)

Top Bottom