First Hollow Forms

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from louisbry

louisbry

Pictured is my first hollow forms, all turned from logs I recycled from our county recycle/disposal center. After about two week of procrastanating I finally had the nerve to try out my new Jamieson laser hollowing tools on hollow forms. I previously turned a bowl with the setup with no problems, but I could see what I was doing with the bowl. The first is a 9 inch Spalted Maple vase, the second is a 8 inch Sycamore vase and the third is a 7 inch Cherry vase. Thanks for looking and comments/critique is always welcome.

1_First_Three_Hollow_Forms_01a.jpg

1_Jammison_hollowing_tool_setup02jpg.jpg

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

That has to have been some of the nicest scrap ever thrown away -- turned into some of the nicest vases!

Did you have any issues with the maple staying in one piece?

-Barry

louisbry

Thanks Barry. I had to put thin CA on one of the spalt lines of the maple. The main issue was turning and sanding it smooth because it was a little dry and punky.

Last edited:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Louis,

Looks good! One suggestion that someone gave me when I started turning hollowforms that really adds to them...at the very bottom, slightly round the edge of the foot where it sits on the table and it will make it look lighter and add elegance. Just a suggestion. They look great as is too!

attachment.jpg

Attachments

• mesq3-4.jpg
    mesq3-4.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 229

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
If those were your first attempt then they are a lot better than my firsts! Doing the "foot tuck" as I was instructed to do with make them float from the surface a little. Good luck and be sure to post more!

Oh yeah, you know that using a hollowing system is cheating, right? :) I did most of my fist ones without and then got smart and decided to cheat! I have the monster system which is similar to yours. Makes things much easier and more precise.

areaman

very nice vases, love the spalted one. And to do a 9" one as a first is great. Curtis is right about the bottoms, I remember someone telling me that people will always look at the bottom to see how it is finished,so make sure you do something with the bottom also.

Top Bottom