First tries at pendants

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from micharms

micharms

I've really liked the pendants that everyone has been posting and thought I'd try my hand at a couple. Here are my first 2 attempts-maple burl and birdseye maple.

I'm wondering if the chain looks too light for the pendants and whether or not I should use something more 'robust.' Let me know what you think.

Michael

Attachments

• IMG_9750-1.jpg
    IMG_9750-1.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 479
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

louisbry

Your pendants are nice and the wood is exceptional. I can not comment too much about the chain. My personal preference would be a thin leather material. Perhaps a clasp would help the chain fit. You better get an opinion from some of the ladies.

micharms

Thanks guys. I need to do some more thinking about the chain. I have a fair quantity of it since I used to use it for pendant watches but have quit making those. I'm not sure of the availability of other materials because we are a relatively small city and the choices of stores is somewhat limited.

Michael

jleiwig

If your going to do the chain look for some gold wire to wrap around the pendant a few times and make a loop to hold the chain. But as is that chain is too bulky for the pendant.

broitblat

Nice looking pendants, and great looking finish.

I think the chain looks fine, but would suggest a jumpring for the transition from the pendant to the chain.

-Barry

micharms

Thanks for the comments. I had thought about a jump ring but it would have to be pretty big and also availability here is a problem. I might try some with the leather cord to see if one style or the other sells better around here.

Hans - thanks for the great tutorial! It helped a lot in getting me started.

I'm trying out some other woods but wanted to try hardening them first. Once the blanks are dry I'll get them turned and post more photos.

Michael

Bill Daniels

I read that you are going to harden some more wood for making pendants. Is that the same thing as stabilizing? What do you use?
Bill Daniels, new guy and still learning

micharms

Chris - the finish is CA - it does take some time but I am pleased with the results.

Bill - the stuff I'm trying is PC-Petrifier wood hardener. It is the only thing available to me here in Owen Sound. I'm hoping to be able to turn the samples and post pictures tomorrow.

Michael

micharms

Unfortunately no one here sells the Minwax hardener anymore. Home Depot used to but for some reason doesn't. I'm going to see if i can get some special ordered because the other stuff I tried didn't work well. It is a water-based product and of course ended up causing cracking and warping and didn't seem to really accomplish what I was after.

Michael

Top Bottom