First Bottle Stopper

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from louisbry

louisbry

Just turned my first bottle stopper from spalted hackberry and applied a CA/BLO finish. Comments are appreciated.

Attachments

• Hackberry 1st e.jpg
    Hackberry 1st e.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 146
  • Hackberry 1st d.jpg
    Hackberry 1st d.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Hackberry 1st a.jpg
    Hackberry 1st a.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 131
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

Very nice for a first stopper. I've seen most people go way to large with their first one, this one looks like a good size. Finish looks great, but I'd stay away from so many burn marks, especially with wood that's already spalted. Takes away from the natural spalt effect when you've got artificial burns that blend in with it. That's just my personal taste though.

Louis,
Very nice, indeed!! I would agree with SKYE. The spalted hackberry is beautiful on its own and the burn lines detract from the natural pattern. The size is great. I only make them larger if there is a corkscrew in the bottom. I'm looking forward to getting my bottle stopper blanks in a few days. Thanks for providing such beautiful wood to the IAP members.

PaulDoug

Very nice job. Like Skye said I think most people make first ones way to big. Yours is a good size. Like the top two burn rings but agree with the others, I'd prefer it didn't have the bottom two. All a matter of personal taste. Great job.

louisbry

Thanks for the comments. I agree about the burn rings, so I went back to the lathe and removed the two lower burn rings. Thist is what I like about this forum. You can learn a lot from others eyes.

Attachments

• Hackberry 1st g.jpg
    Hackberry 1st g.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 126

Fred

Very nice job on them. I agree with the others that the extra burn rings are unnecessary. You gotta remember, "If you mess with Mother Nature she will turn your wine into vinegar!" Or something like that. :rolleyes:

angelofdeath

Very nice stopper. I like the grain in it as well. I think it looks nicer as well without the rings on the bottom. No more contrast, and it leave the spalting to its natural beauty.

Top Bottom