First Aluminum Pen with Alt. Ebony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jmbaker79

jmbaker79

So this is the first attempt at turning aluminum barrels. It is a Chrome Jr. Gent I FP. This is also my 2nd fp, the first one will be posted soon as well, and upgraded nibs are in the mail. The cap is made of alt. ebony with aluminum segment bands. I picked this aluminum up at lowes on a whim. It comes as a tube, as in hollow, and it is a perfect fit for the jr gent I 10mm tube, fit just like I had drilled it. Did turn this on a mandrel, yet looking forward to turning the next between centers, as Im sure it will work much better. One tutorial here suggested to simply sand with 240, and 4 or 600 iirc. Im stubborn so I went all the way through micromesh, which seemed to burn it and produced a dull grayish finish. Recut it a little with a carbide tool, and wet sanded with a few grits which i think made a difference. Buffed with light, and high gloss metal polish. Looking forward to making another! C&C welcome! Thanks For your viewing time!

Attachments

• _MG_7634.jpg
    _MG_7634.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 493
  • _MG_7638.jpg
    _MG_7638.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 393
  • _MG_7636.jpg
    _MG_7636.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 425
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JohnU

I like it! The material works well together and the black threads on the Jr gent 1 give it a nice finished touch with the black cap. Nice Work!

jmbaker79

I like it! The material works well together and the black threads on the Jr gent 1 give it a nice finished touch with the black cap. Nice Work!

Thanks! Feel like it could use some more black on the lower barrel, next time maybe. I did double up the black band on the cap to make a thicker black stripe. may skip that next time as the cap seems so long...its only a 16th maybe longer, just feels different.

BradG

I reall do like that, and the shape of the cap you have done really sets it off, along with the aluminium banding.

The only critique i will say, is that i wonder how pretty it will look in a few months time... after the metal has naturally oxidised and scratched a little being such a soft metal. Would be good if we could come up with a simple way of preserving this look while at the same time protecting the pen?

Anyones thoughts on this? there's the obvious ones such as anodising it, though i appreciate thats not a simple method.. i was more thinking along the lines of a laquer of some type.. and i think i did come across a chemical whih you could apply to ali to stop it oxidising, though i wonder if it would hold up to general wear and tear. Certainly worth a few of us to experiment with

jmbaker79

I reall do like that, and the shape of the cap you have done really sets it off, along with the aluminium banding.

The only critique i will say, is that i wonder how pretty it will look in a few months time... after the metal has naturally oxidised and scratched a little being such a soft metal. Would be good if we could come up with a simple way of preserving this look while at the same time protecting the pen?

Anyones thoughts on this? there's the obvious ones such as anodising it, though i appreciate thats not a simple method.. i was more thinking along the lines of a laquer of some type.. and i think i did come across a chemical whih you could apply to ali to stop it oxidising, though i wonder if it would hold up to general wear and tear. Certainly worth a few of us to experiment with

Let the experiments begin! Anodizing would be ultimately what I would like to do although I'm sure that will be down the road. Let me know if you come up with something as I will absolutely make another aluminum pen soon!

WWAtty

Find some 5052 aluminum alloy bar stock with H38 hardness at a metals supply company. I doubt you'll scratch or ding that up much. It has good corrosion resistance, too. Of course, you'll probably need carbide cutting tools to work it. :)

BradG

Find some 5052 aluminum alloy bar stock with H38 hardness at a metals supply company. I doubt you'll scratch or ding that up much. It has good corrosion resistance, too. Of course, you'll probably need carbide cutting tools to work it. :)

It'l still oxidise unfortunately

Penultimate

I've been using my Aluminum and Koa iPad stylus daily for about a month. It is subjected to daily office activity and travel. It doesn't have any big dings in it just a few light scratches and very fine axial (or near so, they almost look helical) scratches. There is a part of the stylus that I don't touch while writing and it isn't scratched. I'm guessing daily use will ward off oxidation. I'm happy with the durability of the Al. Since this is a utilitarian piece I don't mind if it gets scratched.

Top Bottom