Finishing Stabilized Buckeye Burl...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

challagan

I have never turned this stuff before but I just ordered a bunch of these stabilized dyed boxelder burl from AS. I understand that as a by product of the stabilization that they come out highly polished after the MM process and they don't need much else after that. Does this stand up without another finish like lacquer, CA or Enduro? TSW add to the protection. Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks,
Corey

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cd18524

I still use the CA finish. After the MM you will get a nice look but I feel more comfortable selling the pen with the added protection of CA. Just my two cents.

Chris

thewishman

Just did one yesterday and finished it with Terry Miller's Plexiglass finish. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13309

It was very simple and produced a fantastic shine in just minutes! I applied a top coat of TSW instead of the car wax.

bonefish

I use stabilized wood more than any other material, because of the durability and ease of finishing. I sand to 2000 grit, then apply Hut Ultra Gloss. After the Ultra Gloss, I use the Hut stick wax.

I have a stabilized pen and pencil that I I have been carrying and using every day for over two years, and the finish is still as glossy as it was the day I made them.

Hope this helps.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom