Finally got a compressor

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ToddMR

So this weekend I went up to my dad's house while he was out of town to shovel his drive and walk. Well to my surprise it had already been done by someone else. So the wife & I decided to head over to Anderson's store while in the area. For kicks I decided to go look to see if they had air compressors. Sure enough they did. So as I am looking at my options I see they had a Porter Cable oil-less 6 gal pancake for $179.99. As I am looking on the display there sat the exact same one reconditioned for $99.99. So we talked to the guy in the department who explained it had the same warranty etc as the new in the box ones. So, we bought it. I took it home hooked it up and it works great! I thought I got a pretty good deal on it. The one I bought is the Porter-Cable C2002 Oil-Free UMC Pancake Compressor. I also got a nylon hose along with a starter kit with various nozzles etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred

Now all you need is a dedicated low pressure hose with a nozzel at the lathe and you are off and running. I have found that a compressed air source is a very useful tool indeed, however 90 psi is far more useful when filling tires than at the lathe.

sbwertz

Now all you need is a dedicated low pressure hose with a nozzel at the lathe and you are off and running. I have found that a compressed air source is a very useful tool indeed, however 90 psi is far more useful when filling tires than at the lathe.

It is the only way I can get all the sawdust out from under the lathe and from around the motor. The vacuum just won't pull it all out.

robutacion

Great tool mate, I just couldn't do without a air compressor, I use it more times in a day than what I can count and you probably would believe...!:biggrin:

The life time/expectancy of the type compressor I buy, 40 to 50lt , 1.5 to 2 HP, direct drive system for about $150 to $200 is about 3 years, most go from lack of compression due to rings and piston ware. There is just not viable to consider repair these things, the head replacement alone is the price of a new compressor.
I particularly like these type compressors for their light weight, even tough 90% of the time, its stays in one place with a 15mt hose attached, there are occasions where the hose is not long enough and the compressor has to be taken to where its needed, this is when you appreciate a compressor that don't even need to be rolled away on its wheels, easier and quicker to pick it up with one hand and take it away.

I remember in the old days when the smallest compressor available was the belt driver type with a 100lt tank, while not that huge in size, it was a effort to lift it up or out of the back of the ute, go upstairs or downstairs with them, those things where really heavy, the positive side of them was, they would work hard, all day everyday, without missing a beat and with a lot more high pressures than those in our days, apart from the industrial ones, off-course...!

Good luck with it...!

Cheers
George

jbthbt

I've got a PC stack tank that I bought 7 years ago. It has built 10-12 houses and done countless remodeling and all my heavy lifting around the shop and is still kicking. I did have to replace the regulator last year, but $50 maintenance in 7 yrs is not a bad deal in my opinion. If you'll maintain it properly it ought to last a long time.

Woodlvr

Great buy. I am afraid to comment on mine because something will happen, like my gas line to my shop furnace rusting out last week.:mad:

Top Bottom