Feedback on CA finish

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBCustomPens

Hey everyone,

Can i get some feedback on my ca finish? What do you guys think? And yes, I realize this is only half a pen!:biggrin:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You will never get a true feel for a finish through any photo. So you will have to be your own judge and jury. Most photos when shown all we can do is look at a shine and if people see the famous line they say it looks great but we really can not tell. Unless you do a super macro of the blank then we can see more detail. If you are happy then that is all that counts. If you want someone else to look at it then find a pen turner close to you or send them the pen. Sorry but them is the facts.

On a note other than the finish it looks like the blank is still proud of the nib and center portion. Hey you asked.

JBCustomPens

You will never get a true feel for a finish through any photo. So you will have to be your own judge and jury. Most photos when shown all we can do is look at a shine and if people see the famous line they say it looks great but we really can not tell. Unless you do a super macro of the blank then we can see more detail. If you are happy then that is all that counts. If you want someone else to look at it then find a pen turner close to you or send them the pen. Sorry but them is the facts.

On a note other than the finish it looks like the blank is still proud of the nib and center portion. Hey you asked.

Thanks. It is more of an optical illusion. I checked and it seemed a little proud, but I'm talking like a few thousandths only. Thanks for your feedback, I really appreciate it!

broitblat

As John mentioned, it's hard to tell much from a photo, but what I see looks shiny and smooth as you would expect from a good CA finish.

-Barry

Rfturner

CA Finish

I looked at the finish it appears smooth and clear but it can be difficult to tell from a Photo. I think that it does have a very nice appearance though

mrcook4570

Hold the pen so it is parallel to the floor and ceiling. Now get under a shop light (with long fluorescent bulbs). Stand so the axis of the pen is skew to the light. Now slowly tip the pen from end to end. You should see a very wide band of light in the pen barrel. Keep watching that band of light as you slowly continue to tip the pen and rotate it. You will easily be able to spot every little imperfection in the finish.

fernhills

Your finish looks good. I think there is a little clouding around your lamination seams, could be c/a build up that causes that. A little sanding between c/a coats with a light oil takes that away. It may also be the blade in your saw isn`t as sharp as it could be. Other then thaty you are spot on with c/a. Carl

Top Bottom