Ebonite Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rsmith

rsmith

I needed a nice simple material to "tone down" the kit, this seemed to do the job fairly well, while still having a "nicer" blank to complement the components. Black Ebonite from Exotics (I just love their stuff, and unbelievable service:good:) and Black Ti Majestic. No finish, just MM to leave that great ebonite feel and patina over time. This is the first time I used this material and I have to give thanks to Kurt Huhn (pipecrafter) for an EXTREMELY helpful tutorial I ran across on here. It explained the problems most people have with it and how to avoid them. I highly recommend reading it if you are about to turn this for the first time, as it acts quite differently than other materials. Thanks for looking and any feedback, positive or negative is always appreciated.
1_ebonite_majestic_2776_email.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rsmith

What did you have to do differently turning the ebonite?

The only thing really different was the heat. You can't let it get hot at all. I know that is usually said about most acrylics, but even so I regularly use sandaper as a "skew jr." to get them to finished shape with no problems at all. With the Ebonite, it burns really easily. Even the ribbons coming off are scorched, and if you heat it, the surface bubbles and it is impossible to finish. This was easily seen as I used the disk sander to square the blanks, so just be careful with the final sanding and finishing. Oh, also use tools you don't mind sharpening about a zillion times...I used carbide and it was still rough on the tool:eek:

This is elegant and beautiful. Every part of it...even the thumb print on the end cap :wink::tongue::biggrin:

I prefer to call it cheap copy protection, now it is identifiable as my own work:wink: Oops

Top Bottom