Dust Collection

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

Eric,
I have plans for a home made Cyclone. it requires that you make a lot of decisions concerning the motor you will add, and many other things. It is supposed to be the best of the best though.
I can also save you some time. it costs more to build than buying a brand new Tempest form P.S.I.
The Tempest is a fair compromise between being good and price. there are some cyclones out there that are even better but cost around twice as much. the tempest can be modified for most improvments that are even possible. It is far less work than starting from scratch. and ends up saving money. the only upgrade I don't see could be made is making the intake square rather than round.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Eric,

I don't think you will be happy with the shop vac solution as it is too noisy, and the shop vac motors (IMO) aren't really made to run for long periods of time without a rest, so to speak.

Both Grizzly and Delta make a small dust collector that has wheels. I paid under $100 for my Delta, and bought the connectors at Grizzly to run lines to my bandsaw and the lathe. Definitely include blast gates to cut off the suction to the tool you are not using. In my opinion, two lines are about all this small dc can handle. I do use my shop vac when I use the drill press.

Also consider buying an upgrade bag to filter out the fine dust.

Hope this is of some help to you.

Cav (former Navy Dentist [8D])

Fangar

I have the HF DC and it is a great unit for the buck.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15984&SearchTerms=dust,collect

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16207&SearchTerms=dust,collect

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Before you buy anything I suggest you read up on the subject at Bill Pentz's site.
If nothing else you will get a good understanding of background information.
When It comes to an effective DC system more is definately better.Balnce that with what you have available to spend and what you want to accomplish.
The amount of CFM's to hold the fines from a TS in suspension is not the same as pulling the chips from a jointer.

(edit in)
The unit Fangar posted has been rated as a great bang for the buck on many WWking forums. Most have upgraded the bags but depending on the feasabilty on vent to an exterior location this may or may not be necessary.
For Lathe pick up Russ posted a simple cardboard box with a hose stuck in it.

martyb

I recently picked up the Shop-Vac cyclone from www.clearvuecyclones.com. Since my shop is a dinky underpowered basement room I don't really have space for a full cyclone or even really a decent DC. But the mini-cyclone from Clear Vue works great. I've got it on a 5 gallon bucket which I've emptied a few times with only a pinch of dust getting through to my 12-gallon shop-vac.

bradh

I have a scanned sketch and pictures of my home-made dust collector on my web site:
http://www.hardingpens.com/workshop-dc.html
The unit is made from a wood case and a furnace fan. The unit runs very quiet and has a 4 stage collector: 2 stage chip seperation, a filter bag then a series of fine dust furnace filters.
Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom