Duplicator

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
Anyone have any experience using a duplicator? I was thinking of getting one for a couple of projects in the near future...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

I have one. I don't use it.

A duplicator is very good at turning square stock round, and ok at replicating a turned shape. It does not, however, give you an identical shape, nor a finish-turned surface. A duplicator gets you close and then you have to complete the turning by hand.

After trying mine out for a while, I decided that it got in the way more than it helped, so I took it off the lathe.

Regards,
Eric

TomW

Ive got a Vega duplicator with a carbide insert.... Love it for turning blanks round (and straight and consistent). Never use throughout the whole pen process, however. It's great for stuff like chess men, where you want the pawns to look alike.

You will need 2 things, without question:
1) Device to assure duplicator is installed parallel to lathe ways, easily. If you have to remove the duplicator a couple of times a day, it is essential
2) Carbide tool holder and inserts. Note that these can be obtained for WAY Less than from the typical Vega sources.

Tom

RAdams

Banned
Thanks for the info! So far it sounds like something i am not ready to spend the cash on just yet. Just curious, How "Automated" is it? Do you have to "Operate the duplicator" through the process or is it somehow automatic?

jleiwig

I haven't seen one thats automated. If your going that far, you might as well just use a CNC lathe. Some of the duplicators I've seen leave a very nice finish as long as your not using tight beads or anything like that. Most I've seen are used for duplicating musky fishing lures.

Russianwolf

I have one on the back of my lathe, it lives there all the time.

I use it for rounding stock as mentioned and doing table legs and stretchers that I've needed to repair. As long as the HSS tool is sharp it gives a very nice finish in the Oak that I've used primarily, but as mentioned the carbides are much better.

The only thing I use it for on pens is rounding and taking the blank to near finished size quickly. I can take a 1 inch square down to 5/8s in less than a minute.

2) Carbide tool holder and inserts. Note that these can be obtained for WAY Less than from the typical Vega sources.

Tom[/quote]

I need to order the carbide tool holder and insert. Do you have a suggestion for an affordable source?

Thanks,
Earl

bitshird

I need someone with a duplicator or a CNC wood lathe to turn tool handles for my Woodchucks. I believe I could help with the Carbide tool holders :wink::wink:

Top Bottom