Door Bell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

The other day I heard a knock on my front door. It was one of those Solar salesman that install solar on roofs. First I could not figure why he is knocking and did not ring doorbell. That past and did not think about it again. I am not a fan of those solar panels on roofs. No need for them in my area of the east coast and can get into a big discussion why not to install but that is for others. But went outside to get mail today after dark and happened to notice the doorbell button not lit. Now I know a couple days ago I was going through the house and making up a panel directory so that the kitchen and bath guys have an idea what circuits do what. I know they will have to do some changing. I thought maybe I left a breaker off but checked and all are on. So tomorrows job is to troubleshoot the doorbell. Probably the transformer gave out. Sometimes they have a fuse on them so have to check that. I know I flipped that circuit off so who knows. Moral of the story is I have to break out the electrical tools. Hope I remember how to use them.😁😁

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

John; Door bells having a transformer run on about 24VAC. So you need a multi-meter to test it. Simplest way to test switch is to short out the connection. There should be only two wires running to the switch. Switches are not high quality and I had to replace mine more than once.

jttheclockman

Well here is the outcome of the no ring doorbell. First thing I did was test the load side of tranny with multimeter. Nothing. Then got proximity tester to see if I had incoming power 120V. Nothing. So I went to breakers again and all were on. For some reason I opened the sub panel which I wired for my shop and it has some basement lights on it too. Had a breaker off so I turned it on and sure enough back in business. So now a little digging. I found that was the circuit for my battery charging station (for battery tools) When I wired the shop I must have picked up that tranny for the doorbell because it was so close to the box I dropped off for the chargers.

But here is the kicker and I am sure 99 out of 100 people here can relate to this. I have no explanation why that circuit was off. It was not tripped just turned off. I did not open that sub panel when looking for circuits in the bathroom and kitchen the other day. I know that panel is dedicated for shop. Had no reason to flip any breakers in there. So I wish I had the ability to go back in time to see why that circuit was off. We all need a go back machine so hope someone is working on that. It will remain a mystery for sure.😄😄😄 What a Ding Dong!!

monophoto

John

I can understand how it might have tripped, but the only way it could have been switched off is that you switched it off.

They say that memory is the second thing to go - - -

jttheclockman

John

I can understand how it might have tripped, but the only way it could have been switched off is that you switched it off.

They say that memory is the second thing to go - - -
Louie I am proving that theory more and more every day. I must have some how. But why that one breaker in the whole panel. Just glad it is working again and will chalk it up to old age thing.

monophoto

You can buy a replacement door bell button for less than a buck, or you can purchase a 'smart doorbell' for around $100.

Unfortunately, the guys who make 'smart doorbells' haven't figured out how to make them smart enough to differentiate between riff-raff like sales people and politicians, and important folks like UPS drivers delivering packages.

Top Bottom