delaminated label

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GregMuller

I cast labels pens. I use PR from Michaels. For the first time I had two labels delaminate off the tubes about twenty minutes into the cast. I've never had this happen before. Trying to figure what happened. I had attached the labels about 24 hours before casting the tubes. Only thing I forgot to do was to rough up the tubes. The only other difference was that the shop has been cold for about a week. Probably in the upper 50 degrees. Can a cold shop affect the stickiness of the labels. Also I usually let the tubes sit a week or so after I attach the labels but I was in a rush to complete these pens. Any thoughts about why this could happen. Is it possible that the labels somehow became defective after sitting for too long. I printed these off a laser printer about two months ago. Another question I have is does painting the tubes help with adhesion. Thanks.

Kenny Durrant

My guess was that the resin dissolved the glue and caused the label to come loose. Why it would just start I don't know. If that is the case there might be other factors involved that were not enough to cause any effects but something has changed so that the margin of error was not enough to cover the problems. Like I said it's a guess. I always seal mine with elmers glue. Others use ca or modge podge. You might look into trying that.

its_virgil

I do paint my tubes. I found the brass color of the tubes affected the color on the label. The colors on the label would change against the brass color of the tube. i now use white powder coated tubes.

I don't see how printing them that much in advance could ruin them. I print with ink jet not a laser. I guess laser printers work since you have been doing them with a laser printer.

I've found that Avery labels work best for me. I tried a few "house" brands but none worked as well for me as genuine Avery.

I think you have discovered my #1 pet peeve about casting. Do everything the same and all is well and then the gremlins in the shop come out and casts go south. I wish what we do with our castings were an exact science. What happened may not happen again for a long time and it may happen next time. i wish I had an answer.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

GregMuller

Don some questions

Hi Don,
Since you are powder coating the tubes then I assume you are not scuffing them up after the powder coat is on. Does the powder coat leave a smooth coat or a rough. If I use enamel spray paint should I rough up the tubes before I paint or is roughing the tubes a waste of time. I am thinking that maybe the culprit was the cure time of the labels. Like I said I usually wait a week or so before I cast after adhering the labels but this time only waited a day. I do also only use avery labels. Also a question. Do you reuse tubes that didn't come out right. I mean if you get a bad cast and get back down to the tube I have cleaned off the tubes and reused them once and a while. Do you reuse or just chuck the tubes. It goes against my cheap nature to chuck the tubes. Thanks.

Top Bottom