Degassing using an ultrasonic cleaner

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Yes! I do it after and others do it before. I know how long I can "zap" it before it starts to get too thick (with the amount of catalyst I use).
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel

I know a few of you use an ultrasonic cleaner to degas your resin. Do you degas the resin before or after you have added the hardner?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
And I do it before adding the catalyst. There are probably good reasons for either approach. Doing it before eliminates the chance of the resin setting up as ultrasonics does introduce heat, but creates the opportunity to introduce air back into solution when you stir in the catalyst. Either way is big improvement over not degasing at all, so whichever way you're more comfortable with will probably work, particularly if you use a small amount of pressure during the cast to make sure the last of the air stays in solution.

I zap for 5-10 minutes

I am hitting my resin for approx. 5 min. I don't see it forcing the bubbles up/out of the resin. I have to coax them out with a toothpick.

I do have a pretty old ultrasonic cleaner that I am using. I fill the water to the fill line and put a double-layered cup with approx. 3 oz. of resin in. Suggestions?

its_virgil

480 seconds, that's as long as the timer will go...8 minutes. This is in an airconditioned shop and the resin is getting close to that stringy globby state, but not jelled. You may need to do it less if the shop is hot. I do not turn on the heat setting in the unit.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Blind_Squirrel

Thanks!

I am only using 3 drops/oz. like you. How long are you zapping it?

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
I only put about 1/2 inch of water on the bottom. I put my resin in a 16oz deli style container - the kind they sell potato salad in and set it in the water. Think you may either have too much water or the double layer cup is not transferring the ultrasonic energy. Try on of the disposable plastic containers; the ones made from polypropylene (recycle code 5) have plenty of heat resistance.

Hosspen

I'm thinking of making a pinto bean pen, I'm wondering if maybe I should "degas" the blanks? [:eek:)]

Jerryconn

I do it for three minutes after mixing in the colors and then for 3 minutes after mixing in the catalyst. To date I have had no problems. I use 5-6 drops per 2 oz. of resin.

Smokey7385

Thanks guys.

I made my first pour last night. I poured into my ice cube mold and put it on my air compressor while it was running to produce the vibration to hopefully purge the air. We'll see how it turns out this evening.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
The only size requirement is that the container you are using to hold the resin while degasing will fit.

Looks like the HF model and the one I got are essentially the same. If you are doing small batches, a smaller unit will work.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Originally posted by TBone

Does it degas easier/better from a larger shallow container than from say a drinking cup?
I haven't run that particular xperiment, but I have done both smaller (about 3-4 ounce) and larger (about 16 ounce) in the same ultrasonic unit and achieved similar results. Its really a very simple process and if the quantity of resin is a little larger or if its a little cold and more viscous I just leave it in the ultrasonics for a few more minutes.

Personally I would try to stay away from containers that are too shallow to minimize the chances of getting any water in the resin, or if you do use a shallow container, just keep the water level well below the rim of the container.

Top Bottom