HF 2.5 Liter ultrasonic cleaner question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Divnbrian

I purchased an 2.5 Liter ultrasonic cleaner today at HF because the finally went on sale ($59.99) I brought it home and filled it with water and turned it on. All I see is a minor disruption in the water in the center of the tank. when I put my fingers in the water, I can feel it in the center and a 2 inch radius around that, but not towards the edges of the tank.

Is all it does or do I have a defective unit? The box had a dent in the side, but it did not appear to touch the unit.I have no experience with them so I do not know what to expect.
Thanks for your help,
Brian

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

pssherman

I think this is normal. The sonic waves are generated by the sides of the tank. The waves then travel towards the center. As the waves move toward the center, there is a decreasing amount of area for the wave energy. More energy per unit volume means bigger waves. So you see, and feel, the distrubance more at the center than anywhere else.

Paul in AR

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Brian,

A common way of testing the strength of an ultrasonic unit is to dip a small piece of aluminum foil into the running solution. The foil should be at least dented if not having a series of small holes punched through it. I've used this method for years to evaluate if my dental ultrasonic unit was getting old.

Divnbrian

I tried the foil test and was totally surprised! the water looked fairly calm, but the foil started getting holes all over the place within seconds. Very effective test! Thanks everybody for the help.
Brian

Top Bottom