Definitely that time of year

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

healeydays

Folks,

A bit new at casting, but having a blast working the process and coming up with mixes I like. My problem is I am in NH working in my unheated basement and am not getting the cures with Aluminite Clear I'd like. Can anyone point me to a list or list some of the tricks of curing in temps lower than ideal or do I have to wait till the snow melts as this is a basement mad science lab only.

Mike B

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Justturnin

Maybe getting a small space heater and putting your resin and pressure pot in its path to warm the air and help it cure. Another thing Alumilite recommends on their site is to warm your molds. I am not sure if that would help the curring but it is possible.

Brooks803

I'm using a space heater that doesn't have an exposed heat element. I keep my resin, molds, and pressure pots near it while casting and curing. It's not the perfect fix, but I'm able to cast in colder weather.

If you do try the warm water baths BE CAREFUL with the alumilite!!! It reacts badly with any moisture so do run the risk of ruining your entire cast by putting water anywhere near it.

resinman

Alumilite cures by creating heat.
You can try preheating your molds and/or placing the "a" side and "b" side in a pan of warm water. Do not do this after they are mixed or they will cure before you get to the pressure pot.
If you do not want to do all that, just do your mix and put in the pressure pot about 45 minutes. It may come out a little tacky. If it does just let it sit overnight and it will be done curing.
If this does not work, you may not be mixing the correct amounts.
If you would like more help, PM me and we will find the best time for you to have me call.
Thanks, Gary

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
I tried putting plastic sheet over a heating pad set on high and mixing the PR in a cup sitting on it, worked better. I found a toaster oven at Goodwill for $12 and set it as low as it will go and was able to expedite the cure by several hours. With the oven I was able to cure PR that was 2 years old without ill effects. YRMV
WB

healeydays

Haven't tried the heating pad trick, but that's not a bad idea. I too bought a toaster oven at Goodwill and have been using it to dry and heat up the wood and molds. By playing last night I found that even in my cold basement, I could stick the blanks still in the mold after pressurizing for 2 hours in the over for an additional 2 hrs at 25. It doesn't totally cure them, but does enough that I can demold them and stash them. I have noticed that the air bubbles don't disappear as well when the resin is colder as the flow rate stinks.

Oh well, just time to pickup and move to AZ I guess...

Top Bottom