Dear Abby can you help my BLO/CA finish?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Hayseedboy

Dear Abby,

I am new and just finished my 7th pen. I did a cigar pen in BOW and it was looking really good on the mandrel last night w/a BLO/CA finish. I waited until just a few minutes ago (noon) to assemble it, about 12 hours. Now after assembly, I am seeing splotches on the finish that I didn't see on the mandrel. Don't think it is fingerprints as it won't wipe off.

Thought I kinda had figured out this BLO/CA finish until the last two pens. The last one I did before this was an Asian Ebony that polished up shinier than a new nickel up a goats rear end. Yet after assembly it was cloudier than Bill's car when he didn't inhale. I attributed this to my handling it with my grubby hands before it had a chance to cure good. But, this one... just don't know....

Sincerely,

Down and Discouraged

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rherrell

Sounds like moisture. Did you use alcohol to wipe the blank prior to applying the ca? Alcohol has alot of water in it and I don't use it anymore. Also ,BOW is a little oily . Try wiping with acetone and let it dry thoroughly.

Brewmeister35

If you're mandrel was "wobbling" at all while finishing and sanding, you could have sanded through the finish at the dull spots. I've been having that problem quite a bit lately when doing pens on the mandrel.

Hayseedboy

Dear Abby,

Thanks for all your comments! Ya'll got me convinced I need to try Enduro.

Only catch is, I can find general finishes products online but, which ones are the ones you use? On the woodcraft site I don't see just "Enduro" and I cannot get the General Finishes website to load.

Anybody have a link?

Thanks Again!!!
lr

Brewmeister35

Still hoping someone answers this. My woodcraft doesn't know what Enduro is. Though they have lots of General Finishes products, Enduro does not seem to be one of them unless it's under a different name maybe?

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
Enduro is an excellent finish for pens, but it never has been easy to obtain in small quantities. I have tried several other waterborne polyurethanes, but none of them were equal to the Enduro in hardness, color or clarity.

It was apparently wishful thinking that it would be easier to find after being purchased by General Finishes. I would swear that I saw it in quarts in the local Woodcraft about a year ago, but I seem to be the only one who remembers seeing it.

It is on the General Finishes website and it is called "Enduro", but it is only available in gallons. We will have to use one of the folks who advertise it on this site if we want it repackaged into something smaller than a gallon.

Originally posted by RussFairfield

Enduro is an excellent finish for pens, but it never has been easy to obtain in small quantities. I have tried several other waterborne polyurethanes, but none of them were equal to the Enduro in hardness, color or clarity.

It was apparently wishful thinking that it would be easier to find after being purchased by General Finishes. I would swear that I saw it in quarts in the local Woodcraft about a year ago, but I seem to be the only one who remembers seeing it.

It is on the General Finishes website and it is called "Enduro", but it is only available in gallons. We will have to use one of the folks who advertise it on this site if we want it repackaged into something smaller than a gallon.

Russ -

I found a company in Cleveland called Homestead Finishing that appears to sell Enduro in quarts for $19.00 a pop. Here's a link to the company's entire price list in .pdf format: http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/pdf/pricing_jan2008ver2.pdf. The Enduro clear poly is on page eight of the document, item number EF-CP32G.

The URL for the company's web site is http://www.homesteadfinishing.com/.

Dan_F

The "fellow on ther site" Russ referred to is Mikey, but he hasn't posted in months, and I believe I read that he moved at about the same time as he stopped posting here. I have another recent thread in this forum, trying to find out which of the four or so versions of Enduro is the one people have been using for pens. So far no one seems to know for sure, at least one guess though.

Dan

Top Bottom