Curly Maple Firewood Rescue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from FordBlueChevyRed

My firewood rescue pile is bigger than my burnable firewood pile.
It is driving my wife nuts. So should I continue this practice I ask myself?
I am thinking ...... why not.

This one was from a huge chunk of Curly Maple. It has that classic chatoyance that I love.

Attachments

• Pen Curly Maple_01.jpg
    Pen Curly Maple_01.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 483
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

keithbyrd

That is an awesome piece of maple! And nice job on the pen! If you need to reduce the size of your saved firewwood pile send some my way!

SDB777

Your house might end up cold from the lack of firewood, but you'll have a nice stash on pen blanks!!

That is some impressive fiddling on that chunk!

Scott (like a $7 blank) B

ve3bax

awesome pen, love curly maple!

glad to see im not the only one that inspects the wood as its getting loaded into the furnace... last years load of wood had some prime curly maple in it here... the year before had some nice birch, this year, so far, nothing...

this will probably make me sound a little nuts (although, round here, probably perfectly normal), but i also keep a can of spray paint on the top of my wood pile and if i notice some nice grain poking out of a piece thats too deep in the pile to dig out i paint the end so i dont accidentally burn it ;)

--Dave

jjjaworski

Very nice looking pen. I am with the others as far as loving curly maple goes.

Some of the best turning wood i ever got was from my brother when he was cutting firewood. It seemed where he was cutting a good majority was curly, and not just the maple !

The little bit you glean from your pile isn't that big a deal. Besides, you are making something wonderful out of what would be smoke and BTU's.

MartinPens

Beautiful curly Maple!
I'm with others in the opinion that if you have too much - you could cut some up and make a couple bucks here on the forum. Your wife would be happy when you tell her the pile is diminishing and you have bought her a dozen roses with some of the money you made from selling it. ; )

Thanks all. I have a few more pics of other pens that I made for Christmas presents. I hope to post some of the better photos when i get them converted from the RAW files to jpgs. I just bought a $2.25 piece of 12" x 12" polished floor tile and used it as my groundplane and a donated chunk of black velvet was used for the background. easy peasy. I like the idea of painting the ends of the "nice" pieces. I wouldn't know the first thing about offering blanks to this or any forum members. I should learn how as i just bought a nice JET 18" bandsaw and it is a workhorse. This last load of firewood is loaded with spalted maple so I cannot wait to hear about me saving some of those pieces. :)
Again thanks for the kind replys from everyone... it warms ones heart.

Top Bottom