Crab box.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from alxe24

alxe24

First of all hello again. It's being about 1 year since last time I was here and I'm glad to be back. I became allergic to some of the materials use to make pens and that took all the fun away from it. In the mean time I picked up my old thing (taking pictures) so here is what I've done for the last several months http://photo.net/photos/Alex.
I could not stay away from the dust for too long so I made this box. hinges are wood as well, the only metal are the connectors for the legs and the pins for the hinges. I will take it easy an get back to some pen making, since I missed it a lot.
Best regards to everyone.
Alex

Attachments

• IMG_7395.jpg
    IMG_7395.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 373
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
J

jackrichington

stunning original and it deserves a better name than crab box..I envisioned crab pots when I saw the headline...I for one want to see MUCH more of your work

Rangertrek

That has to be one of the best looking boxes I have seen!
Great design and use of materials.
Regarding the allergic issue, I have the same problem. I now use dust collection and a half-face particulate respirator when I cut or turn wood. I may get a powered full face respirator in the future. Its a small investment compared to not using it.
Keep up the good work.

Alex,
Stunning box... makes me think of the guy who set up next to me a couple of years back.. he was a retired architect, so his boxes were all architecturally designed..
you have a really fanstastic piece there.

alxe24

Thank Keith. The box is made of Walnut, The veneer in the center is figured maple and the danding arround it is maple and Mahogany. The lages, latch and hinges are Curupay (in the rosewood family, it comes from South America) and the tip of the legs and latch is Zebrawood. For the pin to locks the box I used alternative ivory and ebony.
All kind of little scraps went into it.
Here are a few more pics

Attachments

• Box-01.jpg
    Box-01.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_7394-99k.jpg
    IMG_7394-99k.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_7397-99k.jpg
    IMG_7397-99k.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 113

VisExp

Thanks Alex. I guessed the walnut and zebrawood. I would never have guessed the veneer to be maple. It's stunning. Thanks for the extra pictures. The hinges look great and I love the way the grain wraps around the corners. Again, very nicely done.

Top Bottom