Having a ball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

I've been having fun lately turning spheres. In the picture are poplar, cherry, mesquite, birch and splated sweetgum.

I got the the spalted sweetgum from GaryMGg last year, thanks Gary!

ACT_743201.jpg

I enjoying turning these spheres so much that I've decided to start a small wood collection. Rather than keep my collection in flat square samples I'm going to turn mine into spheres! One of the nice things about the spheres is that they show off the end, face and side grain in a small area. They also look so cool and feel so good to hold!

If anyone else is doing this already or is interested in starting, let me know. If you're interested in trading wood to make spheres or trading the spheres themselves let me know. I find a nice size piece of wood to start with is 3″ x 3″ x 4 1/2″.

I posted an article on my blog on turning a sphere.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Keith,
Those are great and you have a great tutorial on your blog... hope you don't mind, but I copied it and converted to a PDF for my files.... I keep files of all the great tutorials I find for future reference. I'll print this also for my paper files I keep in the shop for reference.

I agree with everyone on the spalted sweetgum....

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
PenTurnerfromMaine Keith,

Nice looking spheres. I feel the same way about eggs - fun to turn and hold.

pipecrafter That awesome! My kids would go nuts over wooden spheres -
especially spalted ones!

Those of you who have young children who view the site, recognize I really

PASSED ONE UP

for you.

It's a family site!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Well, Mitch,

I have a reputation to keep up.

But, Jeff gets a kick out of me going right up to the edge, but not falling into the hole. I try to live up to his "expectations".

VisExp

Thanks for all the comments folks :biggrin:

hope you don't mind, but I copied it and converted to a PDF for my files..

Not at all. It'll be a lot easier to print a PDF to take out to the shop than it would be to take your monitor out there :biggrin:

Would you, by chance, be a fan of the Woodturning Workshop? :wink:

I haven't heard of the Woodturning Workshop, sounds like a PBS series. I'm sure it wouldn't take much for me to become a fan.

Jeff gets a kick out of me going right up to the edge, but not falling into the hole. I try to live up to his "expectations".

Funny you should mention that. Since I've started turning these there have been a lot of comments from my wife. Most of them are reminiscent of a certain Saturday Night Live skit :biggrin:

george

WOW !!!
They look great. As soon as I have some time, I will try to make something similar. But i guess it will last for ever before I make something of this quality. Thanks for sharing.

opfoto

Excellent, Thank you Keith. 'Your sphere's look very desirable?' don't know how to comment..I bookmarked the file. Now you have to start scrolling some aluminum into them..get busy!
Now I bet that wasn't the 1st time he's heard that one!!!

Gonna get a copy of the article and save it for ref. :biggrin: Thanks.

Great job....(no more comments) !!!!

Art Fuldodger

I haven't heard of the Woodturning Workshop, sounds like a PBS series. I'm sure it wouldn't take much for me to become a fan.

I just wondered because Sunday's show was on turning spheres, and the fellow teaching how to do it mentioned that he has a wood collection... as spheres. :)

MDWine

Pretty nifty!

There's a "wood collector" group that exhibits at the woodworking show, and they have a huge collection of eggs.

I like the spheres as well, and it is a nice way to display a piece of wood!
Are you using a finish, or just sanding smooth?

Thanks for showin' them to us!

Top Bottom