Could this machine make pen parts?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

Very Cool machine. I expect Skiprat is building a machine something like that in his shop.

KenV

Bro Boone has that kind of gear --- and the first few take a bit longer on the programming.

Desktop CNC is a bit less expensive -- and a bit more personal in the interaction.

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
It could make pen parts, but you might want to start with a smaller piece of aluminum. Cool machine, wondering if they have a reasonable financing rate.

btboone

That one is a complex program! Obviously straight out of CAM, but there had to be a lot of error checking to keep the machine from whacking into the tombstone fixture. Those types of machines usually run around $350K on up. They might have financing, but it won't be reasonable. :biggrin: Probably around 4 to 5K per month.

Alexanderpens

Pretty funny, just got off the phone with my college adviser when I opened this thread. Take a guess at what field I'm going into. I'm hoping to have made some custom pen kits by years end.

And yes, I've seen them make pens in machine shops with these machines.

Last edited:

Fred

You folks should visit Bruce Boone's amazing 'in his home' shop. Bruce does definitely have a shop that is highly capable of making James Bond type goodies. :biggrin:

Bruce, in case you check this thread again, did your new device make it's way to you yet?

Silver

Do you think it would make a good dentist drill......?:):)

How cool would that be... You wouldn't have to put up with the miserable face stuck in yours.:):):):):)

Don't know if I could keep my head still though.

Eamonn

Mapster

CNC's are pretty cool, but to design something like a pen part and then cut it out is a work of magic. I have used our 3 axis cnc at school, and it is a project. You must think of what you want, design it in a CAD program like Solidworks, transfer the drawing to a CAM (I forget what ours is called), get everything secured and find a way for it to work it's magic without hitting any limits or starting from the wrong spot and ruining all of your work. You are much better off with some knowledge and a good metal lathe in my opinion, but that is one super cool CNC!

bitshird

Marshall, 3D programming isn't all that bad, with the right software, I personally don't like Solidworks, I find feature cam a lot easier, kind of expensive, but you can design and write your code at the same time. There is a fellow in Scotland named Rainea that make a decent 5 axis machine, conversion for some of the smaller mills like Taig and Sherline, (not sure if a sherline would hold up well though) it's hard to kill a Taig they are a mini Bridgport when it comes to work, it just keeps cutting. Rhino 3D is also a cool design program, just convert the file extension to one your cam program will accept and go. .. That is an incredible machine though. I saw a Japenese lathe that had live tooling and could turn an Octagonal, Hexagonal, or Triangular piece and even a square, the price 4 years ago was 325,000.00 Plus transportation. Sure wish I had one of them now!!!

Top Bottom