Contest and Events

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lyonsacc

I don't think I will be able to help much during the BASH. There are only 3 of us at work and one (not me!) is expecting a baby right at the end of January - and February is one of our busiest months. I had a fun time helping with the trivia last year for a week.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I think that I could generate a week's worth of puzzles.
I'll also be glad to help with making sure that prizes get delivered to the winners.

mmyshrall

Mike,

If Jonathan doesn't want to chair either of the kit contests, I would be glad to do so. If he does want to chair them this year, I would like to chair the Best Signature Contest and/or the "New Contest" contest.

Michael

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
This is where we stand as of now. If you have already agreed to chair a contest please get your rules together and post them in the planning sub-forum.

I am happy to report that edohmann is able and willing to do puzzles.

Scott has agreed to do Ugly Pen and Trash Talk. He may need a helper.

I am not worried about finding the remaining needed chairs. IAP members always step up when asked (well most of them anyway).

I'll be meeting with MagicBob this Saturday at the Ohio Chapter meeting about prizes.

I hope to have more time to devote to the BASH next week. (I thought retired guys had all the time in the world. It isn't true)

Attachments

• BASH 11 ACTIVITIES.doc
    26.5 KB · Views: 120
Last edited:

mbroberg

Mike,

If Jonathan doesn't want to chair either of the kit contests, I would be glad to do so. If he does want to chair them this year, I would like to chair the Best Signature Contest and/or the "New Contest" contest.

Michael

Do you want one or both of the kit contests?

mmyshrall

Sorry, Mike, I was using Forum Runner and it did not show the attachment. Thanks for the list. I would be glad to chair both of the kit contests (no modifications and limited modifications).

Thanks,
Michael

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I would like to propose a new contest, the Guess the Blank contest. I will volunteer to run it in addition to or in place of the Antler Bone and Horn contest. It would consist of making a pen, any style, out of any material except wood. The creator would submit a picture of the completed pen to me. I'll post all submitted pictures and members will have one week to guess what material was used to create the pen. The one with the most correct answers wins. In case of a tie, the earliest submission wins.
What think ye???

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mannie - I like that idea. It sounds like fun & if you go with that in place of Antler, Horn & Bone those would all still be eligible for that contest in addition to other stuff like PVC, polyclay, rebar, etc.

A possible variant that could be included would be to list the names of the entrants and let everyone try to match up the names to the pens. A prize could go to the one who matches the most names & pens and to the entrant who got the most correct matches to his pen.

mbroberg

I would like to propose a new contest, the Guess the Blank contest. I will volunteer to run it in addition to or in place of the Antler Bone and Horn contest. It would consist of making a pen, any style, out of any material except wood. The creator would submit a picture of the completed pen to me. I'll post all submitted pictures and members will have one week to guess what material was used to create the pen. The one with the most correct answers wins. In case of a tie, the earliest submission wins.
What think ye???

Manny,

Sure. Why not? I hesitate to do away with A,B & H because that went over really well last year. I'll put it on the schedule as an additional activity and if need be we can eliminate one of the other contests.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I think keeping the AB and H is a good Idea, we have a large amount of members that make pens in that medium.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
I'll have the AH&B rules out in a few days and start working on the "Guess the Blank" rules should we decide to run with it.

toddlajoie

Sorry I'm coming in late to the party, but I just got through reading the whole thread and the others in the forum so I'll hit a few comments and questions...

I noticed the pen contest comments and agree with them all, 2 Photo contests is enough (not counting the Match the Shop as a photo contest), and the Anything Goes, while I loved the idea, never really met my hopes for entries... I LOVE the "Where the Pen Meets the Paper", but I think the other Pen Photo Contest and Shop Life Photo Contest are the strongest, most universal ideas. If enough people thought it was worth it to run another, that's would top my list, but I think the 2 basic contests is enough.

My only concern is the "Glamour Pen Photo Contest" name. Glamour as a word, just seems strange, and the lesson learned from last year's "Marketing" photo contest may have me gun-shy for wording... My preference might be to just leave it at "Pen Photo Contest", but again, I'm popping in late to the planning, so I don't know what discussions have happened around the wording that I may have missed... At one point it was "Prettiest Pen" or something like that, and then "Glamour" came into it. In the end, the contest is for photos of pens, and we get great shots of pens on white, and great shots of pens in settings, so I would rather not have the name raise questions with the members on what may or may not be a focus of the contest, other than the pen(s).

Photo contests will also be limited to ONE entry per person, and ONE photo per entry... I don't know HOW I made that mistake 2 years in a row, but I'm not going to make it 3...

Below are some comments from posts I read, but forget who may have brought them up, or if they are still relevant in the discussion:

Cost limits on materials, I'm not sure if this was settled or not, but I agree with the issue of possibly needing people to prove what things cost, and the advantage people have who make some of the stunning (and expensive) blanks...

Someone had mentioned putting an order to voting (i.e. aesthetics, blank, fit/finish) but (all IMO of course) if the general population is voting, they are going to vote on overall looks, and the relatively small photos posted on the forum really don't lend themselves to evaluate some of the finer details of the pen. (I wish we had the time/money to have pens submitted and photo'd under identical conditions, as I think people with better photo skills have an advantage in nearly all the contests...) I think it is a great and valid method for evaluating the entries, but without a selected panel of judges tasked with evaluating on the criteria, you can't expect or count on the members to follow them.

Git-R-Done: I LOVE THIS IDEA!!! My "Debbie-Downer" concern would be for people who might not have the kit required (if there was one) on hand or available locally, but that could be reduced by having either 1 or 2 options, or go with a "Style", refill type, or tube size/# (like "Sierra Like" that would include Elegant Beauty, Aero (very Sierra like, but a different tube size), and the many others)

Guess the Blank Contest: I like this idea too, but when I first read it I thought that the blank that got the FEWEST correct answers would be the winner. Snakeskin, Pheasant Feathers, Carbon Fiber, mini-pinecones, poly-clay, etc... are so well know on the forum that few people would guess any of them wrong. Probably need to be careful about how specific you get on what the blank is. (i.e. I have a blank that is the same material clarinets are made from, technically called Resonite, but it is, in the end, basically black ABS or plastic... The same with anyone being able to tell Alumilite from Castin-Craft based on a photo.)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Guess the Blank Contest: I like this idea too, but when I first read it I thought that the blank that got the FEWEST correct answers would be the winner. Snakeskin, Pheasant Feathers, Carbon Fiber, mini-pinecones, poly-clay, etc... are so well know on the forum that few people would guess any of them wrong. Probably need to be careful about how specific you get on what the blank is. (i.e. I have a blank that is the same material clarinets are made from, technically called Resonite, but it is, in the end, basically black ABS or plastic... The same with anyone being able to tell Alumilite from Castin-Craft based on a photo.)
Todd,
My initial intent for this contest was it get people to thing out side the box on new items to turn, but in retrospect, this may compete with the casting contest.
My thinking for the winners was that the person that guesses the most correct would win and the blank that gets the fewest correct would win.

mbroberg

A concern has been raised concerning the Signature contest.

"Do you think we need to draw attention to signatures??? With all of the sizing rules that Jeff had to put into place, and the political, religious and flashing lights minefield that it might open up......."

Any thoughts?

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
How does the Signature Contest work? Do you submit your own signature or someone elses? If you submit someone else's you like, who wins. the submitter or the signature owner?

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
How does the Signature Contest work? Do you submit your own signature or someone elses? If you submit someone else's you like, who wins. the submitter or the signature owner?

Because signatures are dynamic, how does a submission work? It can be changed any time. Not sure I see the point of this contest.

mbroberg

People would nominate other member's signatures. This contest was done in earlier Bashes. We can drop it and I won't lose sleep.

There was a suggestion made for a "Most Creative use of a Fountain Pen Nib" contest? A lot of people use the term "nib" when they are actually referring to a section, housing or feed. Such a contest might help inform and educate the general membership...and who knows what someone might come up with? We could do that instead or something else.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I would throw a vote on the Git- er -done type contest. post rules on a friday start accepting entries next day and close it to entries 9 days later on a Sunday night. lets the members have 2 full weekends to start and finish a pen. use sierra or its clone , maybe a cigar style for the first one.

Cmiles1985

I like the idea of the "Git-R-Done" contest. Having nine days to plan, execute, finish and photo a pen seems a bit long. Could there be an announcement of a "Flash contest" using a certain tube-size/kit-style/etc. published one week before hand with no details other than the kit limitations, post the full details Friday morning, and close it say Tuesday evening?

I'm not trying to be a Debbie downer or anything of the sorts, just thinking that nine days is a bit long for a quick contest. If I'm being unrealistic, feel free to tell me.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
It would not have to be 9 days, the chair could pick the time frame if we do it.

What would the general rules be for the Nib Contest? Any thoughts?

toddlajoie

For the Git-R-Done Contest, you could require a photo of the raw materials, photographed on some dated material (like a printout of the contest posting, or a daily newspaper, to prove that it was not something they had laying around that happened to meet the criteria... Just my way of saying that if you selected a Cigar kit and required any color other than yellow, I could probably enter a pen within about 10 minutes...

I agree that 9 days may be a bit of a long period for a quick contest, but not everyone checks the forum every day, and not everyone has weekends free... I would say it probably should not go much below a full week and then maybe consider running Wednesday to Wednesday, so people can have the weekend to turn rather than waiting for epoxy'd tubes to dry...

mbroberg

We still need chairs for 4 contests. 1) The Blank making Contest, 2) Pens & Turners Match-Up, 3)Daily Trivia, 4) New Contest Contest. Before I start recruiting elsewhere (I have 1 or 2 people who have contacted me with offers to help) I'll ask for volunteers here. If need be I could chair all of them except for the blank making contest myself. I don't make blanks and would rather not do that one.

mbroberg

Also, we could eliminate any of them or swap them for a Git-R-Done, Fountain Pen nib, etc. Or we could just add the newer suggested contests. The most important factor to consider is prizes. Thoughts?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I would be glad to help with the Trivia Contest. I could handle it in addition to the Puzzle Contest if we only run each one for a week or so. If either or both need to be a month-long contest, I would need a co-chair to help with it as I wouldn't be able to run a contest every day for a whole month.

mbroberg

Does anyone get any heartburn over the thought of running Trivia, Puzzles, Match the pen to the Turner and a Git-R-Done contest for one week each? It might help to keep things fresh throughout the month.

mbroberg

I would be glad to help with the Trivia Contest. I could handle it in addition to the Puzzle Contest if we only run each one for a week or so. If either or both need to be a month-long contest, I would need a co-chair to help with it as I wouldn't be able to run a contest every day for a whole month.

You've got it! I think a week is good. Derek can help as needed.

Top Bottom