Compression Router Bits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

Does anyone use them? Are they worth the extra cost? Mainly looking at them for pattern routing in a router table. I watched some videos and they all pretty much love them, but you never know if the video's are sponsored and/or biased.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I do not use them. Those type bits started out for use in CNC machines and doing slot cutting and hollowing because they are better at changing direction of cutting through grain such as for inlaying work. Then they added the bearings for pattern cutting. For my money not worth the extra money. The reason in my opinion a standard pattern bit can easily be resharpened or just honed with out much effort. Can not do that with those bits and to get professionally sharpened it is going to cost. I am a huge fan of Freud bits but have a few whiteside bits. I have tried Bosch bits but they dull too fast in my opinion. I do own a few up cut and a few down cut spiral bits but do not have those combination compression bits. I do not see the advantage. Just my opinion and someone who has a lot of router bits. :)

d_bondi

I have a 1/4" Whiteside compression bit and I do like it. The advantage of the compression is that it is both down and up cutting so it definitely leaves a cleaner cut on both sides of the material. At less than $40 it isn't going to break the bank. The larger bits are definitely considerably more expensive. I don't have enough experience with them to offer an opinion but agree that the YouTubers do seem to swear by them.

KenB259

I have a 1/4" Whiteside compression bit and I do like it. The advantage of the compression is that it is both down and up cutting so it definitely leaves a cleaner cut on both sides of the material. At less than $40 it isn't going to break the bank. The larger bits are definitely considerably more expensive. I don't have enough experience with them to offer an opinion but agree that the YouTubers do seem to swear by them.
Do you find it to be less "grabby"?

d_bondi

Good question, but I'm not sure I can give you a good answer because 1) I primarily use it in a hand held trim router and 2) I was already using up or down cut bits by Whiteside which are also really good bits. I never really used any of the straight cut type, at least not recently. Sorry.

jttheclockman

I could see where that would be the case because you are actually shearing through the grain 3 different ways as opposed to a straight router bit where it is one direction. That was the idea of the up and down cut spiral bits when they came out. You probably will avoid the dreaded climbing action if you use in the wrong direction. I just do not know because have not used them.

Top Bottom