California Air Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KMCloonan

I'm excited - I am getting a California Air Tools 5 gallon pressure pot for Christmas. Of course, that probably means I will be looking to buy some larger molds....

The main reason I am writing this is more about the compressor I use. I have a Bostitch 6-gallon pancake compressor that is louder than a banshee (it clocks in at about 80db). I have to use ear protection when it's running. When I bought it, the information I researched said it was a "quiet" compressor. Well, it's not.

While I was shopping for my new pressure pot, I saw the California Air Tools (CAT) compressors - their model 8010 claims to be whisper quiet - I watched some videos, and it really is quiet - about as loud as my vacuum pump I use for stabilizing. The price is a bit higher than other similar size (8 gallon) compressors, but the quiet operation is really enticing.

I thought I would ask this experienced crowd if anyone has had any 1st-hand experience with CAT compressors, either good or bad.

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

EricRN

I've got the hotdog compressor with the higher power motor. Love it. Works great. Super quiet.

KMCloonan

I've got the hotdog compressor with the higher power motor. Love it. Works great. Super quiet.
The 8010 that I am looking at has a 1HP motor, and it looks like dual cylinders - they run at 1680 RPM which is why they are so quiet. I think the dual cylinders at half the RPM push out a similar volume of air as a larger, noisier single cylinder. They now offer a new model 8010A - the only difference is the tank is aluminum which makes the overall compressor about 10 pounds lighter. The 8010A costs almost $40 more than the 8010, so I think I will stay with the steel tank.

EricRN

The 8010 that I am looking at has a 1HP motor, and it looks like dual cylinders - they run at 1680 RPM which is why they are so quiet. I think the dual cylinders at half the RPM push out a similar volume of air as a larger, noisier single cylinder. They now offer a new model 8010A - the only difference is the tank is aluminum which makes the overall compressor about 10 pounds lighter. The 8010A costs almost $40 more than the 8010, so I think I will stay with the steel tank.
Mine is the dual cylinder with the 2 HP. One thing to keep in mind—if you do any hvlp spraying, I think you'll need the 2 hp to get enough cfm to run an hvlp sprayer. That was why I got the bigger motor. If you don't plan to do that, the 1 hp will be fine. One consideration in the steel vs aluminum—aluminum won't rust or corrode from condensation in the tank. You should be fine with steel if you empty the condensate regularly.

KMCloonan

Mine is the dual cylinder with the 2 HP. One thing to keep in mind—if you do any hvlp spraying, I think you'll need the 2 hp to get enough cfm to run an hvlp sprayer. That was why I got the bigger motor. If you don't plan to do that, the 1 hp will be fine. One consideration in the steel vs aluminum—aluminum won't rust or corrode from condensation in the tank. You should be fine with steel if you empty the condensate regularly.
Thanks for the info. I'm only using the compressor for resin casting, and an occasional dust-blowoff, so 1HP should be ok, Also, I have been in the practice of draining my compressor after each use, so I should be ok there too.

jttheclockman

Thanks for the info. I'm only using the compressor for resin casting, and an occasional dust-blowoff, so 1HP should be ok, Also, I have been in the practice of draining my compressor after each use, so I should be ok there too.
I have a compressor as your first but a Dewalt you mentioned and I use it for casting as well as other things. yes it is loud for as long as it takes to fill the tank then shuts off. So what is the big deal about that? Casting you do not need much air unless you are running multiple tanks. I also use it for all my brad nailing and such. I love it. 80db is not that loud. With that said the CAT compressors are some of the quietest no oil units on the market if you are looking to buy a new toy, I mean tool. They clock in at 60DBs

egnald

I have a relatively inexpensive California Air Tools compressor - I think it is a 1 Gallon and runs somewhere around 60db, pretty darn quiet. It works great for me for resin casting, but then I only have a 2.5 gallon pressure pot. (Of course I think all of the California Air Tools "Ultra Quiet" series compressors run around 60db regardless of the size. - Dave

greenacres2

I've got a CAT 10 gal/2 hp (1020??) that works well and it is quiet. I have enough hearing issues already (years of being a safety worker on race tracks--including drag strip starting lines) so the CAT was a welcome relief from my 25 year-old Harbor Freight 8 gallon and the portable pancake. When the HF finally died, i was going to buy cheap and build an enclosure--didn't cost much more to buy a quiet compressor and not time invested in building the enclosure.

montmill

I had a CAT 2hp, 20 gal which replaced an older Ingersoll Rand 20 gal. When the Ingersoll Rand kicked in and I was doing some delicate work I about jumped out of my skin, so I went with the quieter CAT. It was great until it wasn't. After a few minor inconveniences it finally quit. Try and contact service help. They have no service centers anywhere. I had an electrical engineer friend look at it and he said the windings are broken, it wouldn't be cost effective to rewind. My neighbor hood mechanic took the top off and is using the tank as an air bomb. If I were to do it again I'd get the Menards version. Their warranty sounds good and I have a dealer close by. https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...ompressor/3332041/p-1536042526176-c-12910.htm

derekdd

I had a small pancake compressor from HF I picked up for a song.

Once I bought the same pot you're getting, I needed to upgrade. I turned to FB Marketplace and wound up with a nice Campbell Hausfeld from a guy who runs a transmission repair shop. Great deal on a well built tool. However, it is probably as loud as your Bostitch.

Having one 20 db quieter would be very attractive. Sounds like the smart way to go.

KMCloonan

I've got a CAT 10 gal/2 hp (1020??) that works well and it is quiet. I have enough hearing issues already (years of being a safety worker on race tracks--including drag strip starting lines) so the CAT was a welcome relief from my 25 year-old Harbor Freight 8 gallon and the portable pancake. When the HF finally died, i was going to buy cheap and build an enclosure--didn't cost much more to buy a quiet compressor and not time invested in building the enclosure.
I also have significant hearing loss, at the high frequencies. Loud noises really bother me, so I always wear noise reducing earmuffs when I am in my shop. Also, my current compressor is loud enough that the sound can be heard throughout the house (My shop is in my basement). I usually get up in the morning before my wife does, and I can't start any casting early in the morning when my wife is still sleeping. With the quieter compressor I will be able to do this. Thanks everyone for your input.

moke

I could not find a Cali Air compressor in my area.....I had to order it. One of the Lowe's compressor is a dead ringer for a CAT. It was cheaper, not by a lot. I bought it for convenience of not having to have it shipped. It has been a great tool....the old Craftsman was so loud you could not talk anywhere in there without shouting, this one you can carry on a conversation right beside it....I believe it is either 35 or 38 gallon.

MRDucks2

No doubt about the CAT equipment being nice. However, when I went to replace my small twin stack I ended up going with a Kobalt from Lowe's as seen HERE. At the time it was on sale, was close by and in stock. I always said I would buy another oil-less compressor, but this new style with twin cylinders provides all the air I want and is super quiet. I would recommend looking at one.

Top Bottom