Bandsaw Tensioning Crank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrankForce

I recently suffered through a bandsaw tensioning issue. I have a Rigid 14 inch Bandsaw with a very inadequate tensioning rod and knob. After searching unsuccessfully for an affordable solution, I final decided to build my own. Part of my research included a review of available fixes, all of which were very expensive. I solved my problem, as I will explain below, and thought I would share with others who might have the same problem.

My version of a Bandsaw Tensioning Crank replaces the tension adjusting rod and knob on my bandsaw. My objectives in creating this solution were; to provide a "lower cost" and "more effective" replacement for the original equipment that could be built by most DIY fans for about $15 (CAD).

My fix makes lowering and raising the upper wheel on my bandsaw easier and faster when changing blades or changing tension each time I use the saw. There are no fancy or expensive wheel cranks or handles on my device, although adding them is possible if a more "polished" look is desired. The 3+" crank radius combined with the 3/8" acme threaded rod makes quick work of lowering and raising the wheel on the bandsaw. The square replacement nut helps eliminate play in the threaded rod.

I have no idea what models of bandsaw the crank will fit. My saw is a 14" Rigid. Compare your saw's dimensions against this device to decide if the crank will fit your saw or need to be adjusted. If you don't have a welder, use lock nuts and Loctite instead.

I made one to solve my problem and realized there may be others who may have gone thru the same frustrations I did trying to solve a simple problem, but may not have the expertise, equipment, time or inclination to build their own solution. If you are unable or not equipped to make one for yourself, let me know and I will try and help you out.

Chuck

Attachments

• 1.jpeg
    1.jpeg
    142.2 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Reactions: Lew
Top Bottom