collet chuck question, sort of long

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

This is a two issue question.
First I have been thinking about getting a collet chuck for my lathe.
I like the Beall but would have to get the adaptor for it to fit my lathe. another $60 reason to just buy a new lathe.
Second I want whatever chuck I do get to fit my mini metal lathe as well. I have a 7X12 Homier (Harbor Freight) metal lathe.
I was checking the little machine shop for a way to make the Beall fit on the little guy but only got confused, or disappointed, not sure but my head hurt when I finally gave up. I don't even understand how you get a collet chuck mounted to the Homier much less how to adapt it for the Beall to fit.

here is the info on the lathes, chuck etc.
wood lathe has a 3/4, 16 T.P.I. spindle. The only adaptor from CSUSA is 3/4, 16 T.P.I.- 1", 8 T.P.I.

The Homier has a 4" 3-jaw chuck that mounts with three studs to a face plate.

Basically my thinking is that I need a face plate that will allow me to put the 1" 8 T.P.I. Beall chuck onto.

any info that will point me in the right direction is appreciated.

additional info. I want the collet chuck for my wood lathe to hold my pen mandrel, easy enough.
I want it on my metal lathe to be able to drill out the 50cal bullets I have coming. I do not think my wood lathe is going to be accurate enough for this. the bed of the lathe is a pipe so I can get some play in the movement of the tail stock. plus drilling with it would be a real pain, basically no handle to crank.(yet another couple of reason to buy a new lathe)

that is about it, hope someone can make heads or tails of this and knows a lot more about the Homier lathe than I do.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

After writing all that, and doing the extra thinking it required. I realized my SuperNova 2 chuck came with an adaptor. DUH! (tink, tink) anyone home?
So I went out and got it (sounds simple don't it?) anyway.
mesuerd from the tip fo the thread,(widest demension) this adaptor is 1-1/2 X 8 T.P.I. so the Beall collet from CSUSA number 019-3600 would fit. Hope I am measuring right cause there is a difference from the top of the threads to the bottom of them of nearly 1/4 of an inch. this leaves me wondering if I have a 1-1/4 8 T.P.I. adaptor, but I don't think so.
Anyway I still have the problem of getting it all to fit on Homier.

Chuck Key

It looks like Beall has an 3/4 - 16 set for $169.00

They also have a 3/4 - 16 collet holder for $79.00.

I use an MT-3 ER32 holder on my homier lathe. One source for that is http://cgi.ebay.com/12-PC-ER32-SPRING-COLLETS-MT-3-CHUCK-NEW_W0QQitemZ350015329106 at $69.00

I beleive I would look at the Beall collet holder at $79 and the MT3 set at $69.00. The collets can be used on both setups. You will also need a bolt and washer to use a a drawbar on the Homier. If you go this way let me know and I can measure (verify) the bolt size you will need.

Chuckie

Daniel

Chuckie, I can't thank you enough for helping with this. I can get to the MT3 set bu where did you find the 3/4-16 Beall. the only place I know to find them is CSUSA. I know you gotta take me by the hand lead me right to the counter. I really appreciate it. And yes the draw bolt size would be helpful.

Daniel

Kirk, I could but don't want to compromise precision. that is largely the reason for going to a collet chuck. I have other things I have made for my chucks to hold. Getting them to line up straight etc. is not very accurate, at least repeatably.
This place is awesome. I just did the math on the two items above. the price comes out less for both than the beal set does at CSUSA.

Daniel

I just ordered the beall chuck ($88.75 with shipping) for my wood lathe. So I am now comitted to ER32 collets. I hate to buy specific collet sizes (as in not getting a set). Right now I only have need for 1/4 and 1/2 inch collets, but I know that as soon as I have this I will find many more uses for it. I am still a bit edgy concerning the metal lathe, my inexperience not lack of confidence in the advice I am getting. I just want to make sure whatever I get will work.
So far my top choice is 800watts set. havn't had as much time to look for that set up as I have had at looking at the beall.

Daniel

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Daniel - there are probably a number of solutions. I have 2 collet holders, one for my shopsmith (uses a 1" x 8 adapter) and one with a 3MT for the metal lathe. The collets are interchangeable. 800watt is a good supplier and I would get the largest set available. They come in very handy for many things and you will be sorry when you are looking for one with the correct diameter and don't have it. On option is to get a 2MT holder and a 2MT to 3MT adapter. LMS sells the adapters pretty cheap. I use them for a number of my woodworking chucks and spindles when I want to use them on the metal lathe.

Daniel

Bruce, well that makes 2 votes for 800watt, and it is looking pretty good to me. think I will go with the MT3 set.
that still brings it all in at about the same price as CSUSA wanted for a beall set alone and that includes shipping.
I really have a hard time when it comes to the metal lathe. I always have this feeling that I stepped into an alternate universe or something.

Daniel

I just bid on the 800watt set. auction doesn't close til the 24th. at the very least it is a set of 12 collets. I can always get the face plate chuck later and only have wasted $7.50 on the MT3 chuck. Not bad, now I remember why I come here to ask questions.

Daniel

Thanks CHuck. I have an assortment of bolts around from my home maintenance days. got tired of having to run to a hardware store for a 19 cent bolt. Of course this is a new toy so I might have to get fancy.

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
If you lose the bid for the 12 collet set, go for the 18. I got the 12 and had to add a couple of tweeners, but there are places where you can get the fillers for about $10 each if you need them. My 3MT from China uses a metric size drawbar - 12mm but I got some threaded rod and a nut and made one. Works great.

England14

Daniel, keep in mind that with the MT chucks you can not put long shafts through the headstock. One reason why the face plate or spindle mounted chucks are more desirable. I am in the same position as you, only a little bigger metal lathe (Southbend 9"). I am looking at the Pennstate chuck for the little Jet and will worry with the SB latter. But I do want to stick with the ER32 collets. Looks like most people end up making the chuck for there SB. I would like to find a chuck and not have to make one. The SB has a 1 1/2 x 8 spindle.

Have you considered #2mt collets mounted directly in the headstock? Would do no good in the metal lathe unless the spindle has a #2mt.

Daniel

Jonnie, I am sort of lucky that the little machine shop specializes in the 7X12 mini lathe. I think the face plate they have will only fit the various versions of it. I will be getting the face plate chuck in time. the whole thing works out pretty sweet really. got the Beall, hopefully will get a set of collets at a really good price and can still use them on both lathes without spending any extra money really. I was ready to buy the CSUSA Beall chuck at $162 plus shipping. Wound up getting both lathes set up for $177 including shipping. Hope you can come up with a source for your lathe. I do a lot of through the head stock turning with my metal lathe. Little machine shop does have a 5" version of the face plate chuck, not sure that helps you or not. I'm the dunce when it comes to the metal lathes.

Daniel

New Question about The Beall Tool Company. I ordered the Beall Chuck two days ago, I did get a confirmation e-mail for the order but funds have not been taken from my account.
Just wondering how other peoples orders have gone to know a little more what to expect. sort of funny that I bid on the other chuck and collets on e-bay and it looks like I could have them on the way quicker.

Top Bottom