Cocobolo Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from splinter99

splinter99

Enjoyed some time in the shop today and this was the result..Cocobolo segmented with a black acrylic from woodturningz, black veneer and aluminum.. Finish is ca..

cococig-4_editedMedium.jpg

Comments welcomed, thanks for looking

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

splinter99

Bree, I sanded and mm through all the grits, spray the blank with accelerator with lathe runnung on medium speed. Fold a sheet of paper towel into a long 1 inch wide strip. hold this under the spinning blank. move it back and forth one pass while drizzeling thin ca where the blank and paper towel meet. Take the ca away and continue moving the paper towel back and forth about 3 or four more times..do all this very quickly..wait a few seconds and give it another coat..spritz with accelerator about every 3 coats or as needed..I put about 10 coats on this pen..after the last coat, spritz again with accelerator..I like to let it cure for an hour or so..You will have to use a razor knife to part the bushings off. After the blank has cured. sand it with mm through all the grits, wiping it with a paper towel between each grit. The final step is a quick buff with Mc Guires scratch and swirl remover

Bree

Bree, I sanded and mm through all the grits, spray the blank with accelerator with lathe runnung on medium speed. Fold a sheet of paper towel into a long 1 inch wide strip. hold this under the spinning blank. move it back and forth one pass while drizzeling thin ca where the blank and paper towel meet. Take the ca away and continue moving the paper towel back and forth about 3 or four more times..do all this very quickly..wait a few seconds and give it another coat..spritz with accelerator about every 3 coats or as needed..I put about 10 coats on this pen..after the last coat, spritz again with accelerator..I like to let it cure for an hour or so..You will have to use a razor knife to part the bushings off. After the blank has cured. sand it with mm through all the grits, wiping it with a paper towel between each grit. The final step is a quick buff with Mc Guires scratch and swirl remover

When I first looked at the pen I almost thought that you had kept the top clip assembly off and finished the bottom assembly on the short tube right along with the blank because the sheen has almost no noticable break. I didn't notice that you had said the finish was CA at first. It looked liked a fine lacquer to me initially. It is simply beautiful work.

I just saved your technique to a file and I am going to try it next time I get a chance to do some turning. May not be this weekend because I have a weekend long motorcycle ride to lead.

But I will say this... there is no finer finished pen that I have seen than that one. There are fabulous woods and segmentations and artistry of all kinds but that finish is just beauty incarnate as far as I am concerned. Kudos to you.
:RockOn::RockOn::RockOn:

jttheclockman

Harold

Very well done. Nice fit and finish. I have a question about finishing with CA. Is there any possibilities being that you used 3 different type materials that the CA can crackle on the acrylic or the aluminum??? I have often wanted to try using this combination of materials but the finishing aspect has kept me from trying. I have this idea that applying a CA glue on top of metals or plastics would crack or peel. Any thoughts????

Thanks for showing. Well done.

splinter99

Thanks for all the kind words folks..John T. I havnt had any problems with ca crackling on "multi material" blanks. I have one thats been around a couple of years and its still ok

TRRH

Fantastic!!...I've just started making pens but have not ventured into segmented pens (yet)....a few pics or text on how you made such a smooth & elaborate segmented pen would be appreciated
cheers,
Terry, NB Canada

Top Bottom