Climate Change is Here

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbroye

Got to 102 today in Sacramento, CA will be 108 109 by the weekend. To watch the new tonight it was like this never happens here. It Summer in California and the Central Valley gets hot up to 112 or so some time. I grew up here we didn't have AC in our houses, schools, churches or cars. Funny thing was I had the AC cranked up in the car and house this afternoon. My Son is coming by after to the shop AC down from loft so I can put in the window before it really hots. I would do it buy my back is messed up I don't to get up on the step ladder and drag it down. Sacramento weather is really boring compared to the rest of the country 100+ is normal be happy we don't get 10" rain in a few hours or Tornados and Hurry cains. But really I would love to take to Al Gore.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am with you there tbroye. I left work in San Mateo at 1pm and the car was showing 72 outside. By the time I got home in the Stockton area at 2pm, my car was showing 104.

I suspect climate change has been going on for some time... maybe since the end of the ice age... the year I joined the navy, 1960, the average temperature during the summer in East Texas was about 110... we had several days at 114... and that was before houses and cars were regularly air conditioned. My boss's wife's car a Chevy Bellaire had "factory air", but the van I drove for him had only a 2-90 AC system... rool both windows down and go 90 miles per hour.... The movie theater where I worked that summer had a giant water cooler in the back behind the screen and air vents on either side of it.

SDB777

It's Climate Chaos now.....more money in carbon taxing that way.
I remember the reports from back in the 70's about the upcoming Ice Age, and how food wasn't going to be available anymore. One scare tactic after another for the 'uninformed voters'......

Scott (I wish it would warm up here) B

sbwertz

108 here right now. Supposed to hit 116 or 117 tomorrow. So far the evaporative cooler is keeping it a comfortable 79 in here. If it gets too bad we will have to go to AC. Fortunately the humidity is about 7 percent out there. Typical Phoenix summer day.

dogcatcher

Here in Abilene, TX we are hitting the low 80s for a high and low 60s for our morning lows. We also getting more rain than we have seen on the last 7 years, it has literally been spring weather the last few weeks.

tbroye

Had my son come over last evening 104F and get the shop AC down from shop storage loft. Can't do it any more step ladder and bad back. Took glass out of one shop window this morning and installed AC for the 10 year it works. Going to replace the piece of #/4 ply on the top of AC unit with a Glass, loose to much day light. Shop is down to mid 70's from low 80's early this morning should be good for rest of summer Need to find a Temp controlled switch to turn it own at preset temp. Maybe some kind of thermostat a new project on the list.

Holy Batman mom, Just went on Amazon and did search came up with a Thermosat that plugs into wall socket that is for controlling Window Mounted AC. ordered it $36 total and with Prime it will be here by 4pm. Our Feral cat "Momma Kitty" who shares my shop will be thrilled. Can use the thermo stat to control my heater in the winter this should help keep the Electic bill down.

Last edited:

tbroye

6:15 pm PDT the package arrived shipped from Los Vegas. Instant gratification It was free shipping this I doubt if it will be next time.

tomtedesco

OK, I am not a scientist or even smart about some things but here is a question. Imagine the earth spinning on its axis, you take trillions and trillions of tons of coal away from a spot on the spinning earth, won't the axis point shift to make up for the weight loss? Moving the axis would shift the globe and move areas into different climate zones. Am I way off base here?

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
OK, I am not a scientist or even smart about some things but here is a question. Imagine the earth spinning on its axis, you take trillions and trillions of tons of coal away from a spot on the spinning earth, won't the axis point shift to make up for the weight loss? Moving the axis would shift the globe and move areas into different climate zones. Am I way off base here?
I don't think they are moving trillions and trillions of tons. but even if it did...the earth is estimated to have a mass of 6 x 10 to the 24th power kilograms, a Ton is equal to about 1000 kilograms so it translates to about 6 x 10 to the 21st power tons....that is pretty heavy

tomtedesco

I don't think they are moving trillions and trillions of tons. but even if it did...the earth is estimated to have a mass of 6 x 10 to the 24th power kilograms, a Ton is equal to about 1000 kilograms so it translates to about 6 x 10 to the 21st power tons....that is pretty heavy

I was just going by the dozens of coal trains I see passing thru Colorado each day, for the last 15-20 years. As I said I am not a scientist.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam

I was just going by the dozens of coal trains I see passing thru Colorado each day, for the last 15-20 years. As I said I am not a scientist.
Well without being a scientist suffice to say this. World wide coal production is about 9 billion tons annually and at that rate it will take about 111 years to produce 1 trillion tons. Of course even though it is moved it is distributed world wide so would have little impact as far as shifting the weight of the world off center. Personally if I were inclined to think and worry about such things, I'd worry more about ice causing a shift than coal. that than coal.

Cwalker935

Is the climate changing?- yes it's in a constant state of change
Are man made emissions of CO2 causing a warming of the climate? I don't think we know.
-current atmospheric emissions are a around 400 ppm (parts per million or .0004) which means that the atmosphere is 0.04% carbon dioxide
-man made emissions of CO2 are somewhere between 5 o 10 % of total emissions, consequently much of that .04 % in the atmosphere is not from anthropogenic sources
-the world's oceans are by far the largest source and sink of CO2, we do not have a comprehensive understanding of how our oceans absorb and emit CO2
-CO2 is a minor greenhouse gas, the largest greenhouse gas is water vapor which accounts for approximately 90 % of all greenhouse gases
-much of the concern associated with CO2 is driven by global climate computer models that have historically been less than accurate and the computer modelers really do not understand all the climate feed backs and interactions.
-other things like changes in solar activity, el ninos and el ninas have a more direct impact on weather.

For me, anthropogenic emissions of CO2 and their contribution toward climate change are way way down on my list of worries. I worry more about drug resistant diseases, destruction of our rainforests, terrorism, etc. Does it get hot from time to time? Yep.

tbroye

In my 74 years of living mostly in Sacramento I haven't noticed that much if any change. Some winters are colder and wetter, some aren't Summer some are hotter and some are cooler. we have had a number droughts in my life time and floods. The worst thing I have in the climate is the air pollution. The biggest cause of our problem with air and water is the number of people living here. They pave over the fields where rain can collect and soak into the soil and groundwater. More people require more water. Smog the same thing we get the inversion layer going and we have smog even in winter In Northern California we are fighting with Governor on his wanting to build huge tunnels in the delta to send more water to So Cal. This battle has gone on all of my life and will continue. As far as global warming that is part of the life cycle of earth, but is keeps many politicians and scientist employe and made Al Gore weathier. I doubt very much if we can stop it, slow it down or change it.. On huge Volcano eruption or Astroid hit and Ice Age is here.

Ligget

I can confirm we have global warming as for once it`s hot in Scotland!! :bananen_smilies039::bananen_smilies039::glasses-cool::glasses-cool:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
When thinking of CO2 causing warming think of this. Rays in a certain spectrum are reflected or re-radiated from the surface of the earth. Some of them collide with CO2 molecules and are absorbed changing the energy state of the CO2...eventually the CO2 releases that energy as rays ... at a different frequency than the absorbed rays..AND at least as many of those rays will be released away from the earth as toward it. CO2 in the atmosphere does not, as is often implied, does not "trap" heat similar to a greenhouse.

Top Bottom