CITES (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species) - Conference 19, November 2022

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

I usually don't follow the CITES (Conference on International Trade in Endangered Species) very closely, but ran across an article or two related to their last conference. It was held in Panama City in November of 2022 where several new species were added to Appendix II (Appendix I are species that are threatened with extinction and Appendix II are species that are threatened but not quite to the level of extinction). Regardless, species in Appendix II are export controlled and may become harder to obtain in the future.

Here is what was added in the 19th conference:

African Mahogany (Khaya spp.) - Red Meranti, Red Lauan - listed with enforcement starting 23-Feb-2023.
African Padauk (Pterocarpus spp.) - Padauk, Vermillion - listed with enforcement starting 23-Feb-2023.
Afzelia (Afzelia spp.) - Doussie, Red Doussie - listed with enforcement starting 23-Feb-2023.

Cumaru (Dipteryx spp.) - Brazilian Teak, Brazilian Chestnut - (listing delayed to 25-Nov-2024).
Ipe (Handroanthus spp.) - Brazilian Walnut, Brazilwood - (listing delayed to 25-Nov-2024).

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Correct me but it seems that those woods come from countries that don't have strict harvest laws. An example is our Great Smoky Mountains National Park. The late 1800s and early 1900s, the mountains were stripped bare, leading to the loss of 80% of Appalachian strain brook trout. However, the trees are back and the brook trout are restored with more being done.

J_B

Woodchipper, I guess what CITES thinks of feels is that if they can kill the market or need for these woods in the U.S. then at least that will help diminish the number of trees they will need to cut down. I dunno, but hope it helps to keep the trees from going extinct. I find it amazing that there are many inter-dependencies in nature such as the Appalachian brook trout on trees. There are no telling what insects, animals or fish are dependent on those tree species in Africa or Brazil.

jrista

I guess I am not surprised about Khaya... For years, there has been a TON of that wood on the market. Its a nice wood, for sure, but man, I got kind of tired of it after a while (made a good deal of bowls with it.)

Paduke and Ipe.... šŸ˜­ I love BOTH of these woods. Paduke is amazing!! Ipe has phenomenal grain... Both are fairly hard which is nice. I like both for a variety of things, not just pens... Paduke in particular for segmented bowls (something I have not gotten into just yet myself, although I did purchase a few boards of Paduke for the day I do...now, I'm really glad I did!!)

Top Bottom