Casting snake skin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Crafturner

I am having trouble with casting snake skins. I'm using Alumilite and the casting is clear and turns out good, but for some reason spots on the snake skin are white or foggy looking. I am using CA medium and I was putting the blanks in the casting shortly after. But, later studying I found the CA glue has to completely cure and I with the reaction from the Alumilite this was causing this may be causing the milky color to cover the snake skin. So, after trying this and letting it dry for 24hrs I had better results but still some white places. The snake skin I use was just skinned and pin to a board and the snake was cleaned and left to dry naturally. It feels like paper pretty much when it's finished. Any advice on what may be causing this problem?

Thanks in advance for any responses!!
photo.php

Last edited:

Cwalker935

Are you removing the scales?

24 hrs may not be enough time for curing the CA, you might want to wait for several days before casting.

jttheclockman

Check the library here. There are a couple tutorials there. I believe too from past threads on this and again you can use the search feature here quickly to find these, but the consensus was that alumilite was not the best resin for those blanks. I maybe wrong but easy to check out. Good luck.

Top Bottom