23BC5320-0FC6-4A51-AE05-BDB5A3E08223.jpeg
    277 KB · Views: 105
  • 75106C80-01A5-4C3C-9FD1-4B05A2E2A74E.jpeg
    75106C80-01A5-4C3C-9FD1-4B05A2E2A74E.jpeg
    261.9 KB · Views: 99
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful pen/blank. I have not seen Rosewood Burls with inclusions very often, but your turquoise inlay is very appealing. I love it! Thanks for sharing. πŸ‘ πŸ‘

ZanderPommo

Beautiful pen/blank. I have not seen Rosewood Burls with inclusions very often, but your turquoise inlay is very appealing. I love it! Thanks for sharing. πŸ‘ πŸ‘
Thanks! I bought a huge burl cap without realizing the full extent of the inclusions until I found them in 90% of the blanks I ended up with, which I believe is why they didn't sell well. First burl cap I've lost money on, but lesson learned. It's incredibly dense though so it makes for good easy practice for doing inlays in voids. And now I have a lifetime supply to try different inlay techniques πŸ˜‚

d_bondi

I really like the way the turquoise looks in the rosewood and the black titanium is a perfect pairing. Nicely done Alex!!

How did you do the turquoise?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks! I bought a huge burl cap without realizing the full extent of the inclusions until I found them in 90% of the blanks I ended up with, which I believe is why they didn't sell well. First burl cap I've lost money on, but lesson learned. It's incredibly dense though so it makes for good easy practice for doing inlays in voids. And now I have a lifetime supply to try different inlay techniques πŸ˜‚
Burls are like chocolates! And for what you did, I might suggest you may have a great solution and an attractive visual for the remainder.

ZanderPommo

I really like the way the turquoise looks in the rosewood and the black titanium is a perfect pairing. Nicely done Alex!!

How did you do the turquoise?
I turn down the blank till it's maybe 1.5-2mm proud of finished size, take it off the lathe and then use a tiny scoop to fill the voids, tapping repeatedly to ensure they get filled, then drop in a couple drops of thin CA which wicks through very quickly, and hardens almost immediately.

Once all filled I hit it with a spray of accelerator just in case, then turn juuuuust proud of finished size and do it again to any spots that are still unfilled.

After that there may be some voids too small to fill, so I put some medium CA on 220 grit sandpaper and create a sawdust/CA slurry at low speed. Then hit it again with accelerator, sand to finished size to 600 grit and apply my CA finish.

ZanderPommo

Burls are like chocolates! And for what you did, I might suggest you may have a great solution and an attractive visual for the remainder.
Haha, thank you, we'll see. I'm not sure there was enough interest in these. I'll probably just throw them in as freebies here and there.

d_bondi

I turn down the blank till it's maybe 1.5-2mm proud of finished size, take it off the lathe and then use a tiny scoop to fill the voids, tapping repeatedly to ensure they get filled, then drop in a couple drops of thin CA which wicks through very quickly, and hardens almost immediately.

Once all filled I hit it with a spray of accelerator just in case, then turn juuuuust proud of finished size and do it again to any spots that are still unfilled.

After that there may be some voids too small to fill, so I put some medium CA on 220 grit sandpaper and create a sawdust/CA slurry at low speed. Then hit it again with accelerator, sand to finished size to 600 grit and apply my CA finish.
Cool, thanks for the detailed explanation.
I like that last step, the medium CA on 220 grit, I'll have to give that a try sometime.

bugradx2

brilliant process, thanks for sharing

Top Bottom