Eco Zen in "bleached" Wenge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

This may be interesting to a few people around here. The bleaching didn't work as well as I expected, but the result shows the light/dark growth rings better than without bleaching. Usually, to my eyes, the lighter rings just disappear when I put finish on, and then it looks like a plain dark brown piece of wood.

20240117_172555.jpg

20240117_172400.jpg

In the pictures there are two pieces of bleached Wenge. You can see that one is a bit more bleached. The one I used for this pen is the less bleached one. It had soaked 2 hours as opposed to the 10ish hours on the other piece. They were turned down to about a mm over the bushings (thickness, not diameter). The bleach didn't penetrate as far as I had expected. You can see the difference after turning it down in the pictures also. I guess I'll turn them down closer to proper size before doing this again.

20240115_111031.jpg 1705532543537.png 20240115_123121.jpg

Also worth noting is that the ink cartridge that came with it has a slightly longer extension because of the shoulder being slightly different (lower? if that's the proper term? if there even is a proper term?). The standard Schmidt 888 and Pilot G2 both fit perfectly, with equal extension in this pen. I suspect most folks would be pretty happy using the G2 refills anyway.

1705532937162.png

Last edited by a moderator:

egnald

This may be interesting to a few people around here. The bleaching didn't work as well as I expected, but the result shows the light/dark growth rings better than without bleaching. Usually, to my eyes, the lighter rings just disappear when I put finish on, and then it looks like a plain dark brown piece of wood.

View attachment 366471
View attachment 366472

In the pictures there are two pieces of bleached Wenge. You can see that one is a bit more bleached. The one I used for this pen is the less bleached one. It had soaked 2 hours as opposed to the 10ish hours on the other piece. They were turned down to about a mm over the bushings (thickness, not diameter). The bleach didn't penetrate as far as I had expected. You can see the difference after turning it down in the pictures also. I guess I'll turn them down closer to proper size before doing this again.

View attachment 366473 View attachment 366474 View attachment 366475

Also worth noting is that the ink cartridge that came with it has a slightly longer extension because of the shoulder being slightly different (lower? if that's the proper term? if there even is a proper term?). The standard Schmidt 888 and Pilot G2 both fit perfectly, with equal extension in this pen. I suspect most folks would be pretty happy using the G2 refills anyway.

View attachment 366476
Absolutely. I'm in the Pilot G2 camp for sure! - Dave

PS I like the look of the pen. The bleached wood makes it look more like Bocote than Wenge.

Top Bottom