box hardware question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from glycerine

glycerine

Those of you who make small jewelry boxes or pen display boxes, where do you feel the best place is to get the hardware? I guess all I really know about is Rockler.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

glycerine

Ok, thanks another question or two. This will be my first box and will be a small jewelry box for my wife. I like the look of the quadrant hinges, but how difficult is that for a beginner? And for the finish, I think I want it to have a high gloss, so should I use lacquer, polyeurethane, or something else?

rherrell

If you want the VERY best try these..... http://tinyurl.com/2ffe3wl

Don't fall off your chair when you see the prices but you get what you pay for. You can't go wrong with anything made by Brusso.

I REALLY like their STOP HINGES for jewelery boxes. The have an automatic stop at 95 degrees so the lid won't flop open.

This site has the cheapest prices for Brusso hardware that I could find and they have good service, you might even get a phone call from them. And they're MADE IN THE U.S.A., when is the last time you saw that!:)

Last edited:

KenBrasier

+3 on Small Box Hardware. I had one incident where they took my payment and never shipped, once we resolved that you couldn't ask for nicer people to deal with.

glycerine

If you want the VERY best try these..... http://tinyurl.com/2ffe3wl

Don't fall off your chair when you see the prices but you get what you pay for. You can't go wrong with anything made by Brusso.

I REALLY like their STOP HINGES for jewelery boxes. The have an automatic stop at 95 degrees so the lid won't flop open.

This site has the cheapest prices for Brusso hardware that I could find and they have good service, you might even get a phone call from them. And they're MADE IN THE U.S.A., when is the last time you saw that!:)

I just picked up some Brusso brand box hinges from Woodcraft. I went there to pick up some shellac and some other things, so I grabbed some hinges while I was there, along with a latch for the front of the box. I'm working on a small jewelry box for my wife, and since this is the first one I've ever made, I'm trying to keep things simple. The hinges just need shallow mortises cut, and the latch screws onto the front of the box, with no mortise. So there's less for me to worry about screwing up!
Thanks for the suggestions.

Top Bottom