Bowl gouge

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If you don't want the very best, PSI has a set of 3, 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" (cat nr:LX298) for $44.95 plus shipping for the whole set... they are HSS and are pretty hefty in size.. 22" overall length. I bought the set, but the 1/2" is on back order til this Friday.

M

Mudder

If you can get past the price, A crown PM Ellsworth bowl gouge is a nice one to have.

chigdon

A 1/2" is a great all around gouge and you will find yourself working much faster than with your 3/8 for your heavier cuts. The 5/8" is great also good to have but if I was to get just one I would get the 1/2". I had a 3/4" for a while I bought as a lot and that is an insane tool. I traded it with someone but kindof wished I had kept it.

woodwish

My first real bowl gouge was a 3/8" also. At a show I got a good deal on 1/2" of the same brand (Hamlet 2060) and it seems like it is huge in comparison. I now use it more and more, but not sure I would want to step up to a 5/8" unless I was really turning some BIG bowls.

whatwoodido

This Benjamin's Best set does not have a deep enough flute and is not a very good bowl gouge. I use a fair number of Ben's Best tools, scrapers are very nice, but the bowl gouges are not worth the money. Even at the low price offered.

I think a 1/2" is pretty nice, you can do just about anything with it, it you are going to be doing only large bowls (over 12 inches) a large gouge will work better for roughing at least, not sure about finishing cuts. P&N is my prefered brand.

Originally posted by ozmandus
<br />If you don't want the very best, PSI has a set of 3, 3/8", 1/2" and 5/8" (cat nr:LX298) for $44.95 plus shipping for the whole set... they are HSS and are pretty hefty in size.. 22" overall length. I bought the set, but the 1/2" is on back order til this Friday.

keithz

I have a 1/2" Sorby fingernail bowl gouge and love it. It's a real workhorse and a great compliment to my 3/8" Sorby fingernail bowl gouge. It has never met a piece of wood it didn't love to cut.

keithz

KenV

I really liked the bowl gouge I got from Bob Sweazey. Bob makes and sells these in the Seattle area. I gave mine to my daughter along with a new Jet VS midi lathe at christmas time. I will be ordering another one. Take a look at http://sweazeytools.com/. I liked this gouge and used it for most everything except skew work.

Another source for those with extra loot from the holidays is the Glazer gouge with cocobolo handles from the American Association of Woodturners. This this tis the rolls royce of bowl gouges. These are in the 3/8 and 1/2 diameter rod size.

I have a Kelton 5/8 bowl gouge but it is too large for most of the small turnings I do. Now if you were turning a Stubby.......

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
There are a lot of really good tool makers out there that make/offer some really nice tools,
but I just happened to read an article about the new Crown Pro PM,
so I picked up the 1/4" bowl gouge (called cost effectiveness is why that size)
and now my Sorby 1/2" just kinda sits and watches eaten up with jealousy because of the work the Crown is getting done [:)]

DocStram

I'm about to buy a 1/2" Ellsworth Bowl Gouge from CSUSA. It's 77 American Dollars. Is there a difference between the CSUSA Ellsworth and the Crown PM or the Sorby Ellsworth??

Gary Max

Yes there is a difference. I own both of them and the Crown is the one I use. I have no ideal what the difference is but I sure can tell which one does a better job.

DocStram

Originally posted by Gary Max
<br />Yes there is a difference. I own both of them and the Crown is the one I use. I have no ideal what the difference is but I sure can tell which one does a better job.
Interestingly enough, I emailed David Ellsworth asking him if there is a difference. Here's what he wrote back:

"Yes, the Pro PM is a cast metal instead of extruded and, along with additional alloys, it is more brittle. This would not be a concern to the average turner, but a more advanced application might experience a 'slight' response to the wood similar to a hard piece of chalk used on a black board versus a soft piece of chalk. Some people will like it, some not. I happen to like it. The edge also lasts somewhat longer then the standard Signature gouge.
Hope that helps...David"

Dario

I made my bowl gouge purchase 2 years ago...did a lot of research and the Crown ProPM came on top (value wise). I am not saying it is the best but I felt it offered the most bang for my money. No regrets buying both of mine. Maybe one...I could have bought it even a bit cheaper if Tangboy already sell them then! [;)].

whatwoodido

The Benjamin's Best bowl gouge design has bee corrected. I would highly recommend this gouge to anyone in the market for a bowl gouge. It now actually comes fluted like a bowl gouge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom