Book Markers??

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jttheclockman

jttheclockman

Was wondering if anyone out there make bookmarkers??? http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/store/Projects___Desk_Accessories___Bookmark___bookmarks?

I just ordered some kits and was wondering if anyone can share some info as to what to do and not to do??? How do you hold the pieces to turn and are these end cuts or flat cuts??? How do you finish something that small??? How high or thick do they have to be??? Are these good sellers??? They look interesting. Thanks for any help you can pass on.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Daniel

I've made a bunch of these. I used a bunch of cut off pieces from pen blanks. I glued them together and then chucked the whole thing into my metal lathe 4 jaw chuck. I was able to just cut a disc polish it then part it off. cut another one. it only takes about a quarter inch of blank material to make one but a couple of inches of wood for the chuck to hold. real easy to do they go fast and you can sell them at pretty low prices since not much work or material goes into them.

jttheclockman

Dan

Thanks, can you explain a little more of your process??/ If I get you right you are actually using endgrain?? If not then I do not understand.

scotirish

I have, in the past, made a number of these also. You are correct the end grain is used. The only problem I had is the base tends to tarnish an look dull. If you keep it in a book only the top is exposed and tarnishes faster. Other than that I sold a lot of them.

Top Bottom