Blue Maple

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valleyboy

Hi All

This is a blue maple burr (burl) fountain pen with cellulose acetate accents that just arrived with the customer. These are very popular pens but I try not to make too many. The last picture shows the purple equivalent I offer and I also make a green one.

I fully sleeve both the barrel and the cap, and both are tapered. The tapering adds a degree of complexity as it requires the liners to be stepped and, consequently, the inside of the wooden sleeves are stepped to correspond. Not rocket science by any means, but it does take a little bit of care and precision.

The accent rings are sterling silver that I cut by hand from sheet using a jewellers saw.

The threads are 13mm triple lead and the overall length of the pen when closed is 145mm. Barrel is 15.3mm Ø at the widest point.

It takes a Jowo No6 nib. I included a close up photo that shows the architect grind I added. All this means is that rather than the line thickness being uniform when laying down ink the cross stroke is wide and the down stroke is narrow. This is the exact opposite to the more common cursive italic grind. I am just waiting to hear if I did a good job...

Fed by c/c.

Cheers
Ash
IMG_8697.jpegIMG_8701.jpegIMG_8712.jpegIMG_8714.jpegIMG_8708.jpegIMG_8692.jpegIMG_9847.jpeg8A068D0E-A7CD-493A-B914-9D270CD03071.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8694.jpeg
    IMG_8694.jpeg
    757.8 KB · Views: 114
  • IMG_8698.jpeg
    IMG_8698.jpeg
    638.4 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_8704.jpeg
    IMG_8704.jpeg
    504.1 KB · Views: 130
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valleyboy

Ash, when using silver I buy 10mm square wire lengths, shape around the tube and solder.
Yes that's certainly an option too. The only reason I use the metal sheet approach is that I am really making washers rather than rings if that makes sense. For a chap with my limited ability it guarantees flatness and uniformity without me having too work to hard.

I also melt the off-cuts down and then roller it back into sheet so I recycle as much as I can.

Top Bottom