Bias-Cut Burma Teak Cigar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bree

Bree

I am not thrilled with this pen. Because I expected more. I got this teak board that is all curly... not heavy maple curl but a moderate yet distinct curl which is pretty uncommon in teak. To kick it up I decide to cut some on the bias. The wood had some dark streaks and other odd patches evident after I milled the blanks. So I wasn't sure what the end result would be.

I acetoned the turned blanks and then used my favorite Tung Oil concoction with heat and time to help it polymerize and dry. That helped a little. Anyhoo... after my normal MM-12000, CA-BLO, double buff and Ren Wax here is the result. I have included a PIC of the original board. Don't know why the curl disappeared... it went all the way through the original and wasn't planer or saw chatter. It has a little chatoyancy but no curl. Weird.

sCIMG5413.jpg

sCIMG5426.jpg
sCIMG5427.jpg

sCIMG5428.jpg
sCIMG5429.jpg

:cool::cool::cool:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

toolcrazy

Very nice pen.

Some woods, the curl will only show in larger areas. Cut it too small, like a pen blank, it will disappear. Not unusual.

Bree

Yes... Looks like you are right. The board has curl and the pen doesn't... proof positive.

Top Bottom