Before I forget how...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

I thought I ought to actually make a pen. I don't see many bandsaw Celtic knots with multi colored infill. This is a patriotic Celtic knot on a gun metal GT Knurl. Wood is holly with red white and blue vaneer. For inquiring minds , the cuts were partial cuts and followed the 1,3,2,4 cutting sequence.
IMG_1901.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Beautiful work, Ken !!!

Stay in practice !!!

You don't ever want to forget how to make pens like that !!!!

jttheclockman

Well done. I do not even want to do a bandsaw knot because i would have to make a jig for that too. Way too much else to do. I am trying so many different things right now. Need to get back to do a few segmented pens to show I still do them. Nice knot and looks exact as always.

Dale Parrott

First, That is a very nice pen you made. Works for me!

Second, since this is your thread Ken it seems appropriate to ask a question here. Concerning the 3 layer inlay on a bandsaw. I purchase my bandsaw blades from a local shop where they make them to order and they are .025" thick. The kerf these cut is around .040" and my veneers are about .020" thick. Using my existing blades and veneers there just isn't room to get 3 layers and maintain the blank dimensions. Looking for a solution to get 3 layers not just from Ken but also the members here. Thanks in advance.

jttheclockman

Second, since this is your thread Ken it seems appropriate to ask a question here. Concerning the 3 layer inlay on a bandsaw. I purchase my bandsaw blades from a local shop where they make them to order and they are .025" thick. The kerf these cut is around .040" and my veneers are about .020" thick. Using my existing blades and veneers there just isn't room to get 3 layers and maintain the blank dimensions. Looking for a solution to get 3 layers not just from Ken but also the members here. Thanks in advance.
The obvious answer which I am sure you thought of is get a wider blade. A resaw blade will be wider especially the carbide ones. They are usually 1/2" to 3/4" wide They will be thicker. I am sure Ken will give you his dimensions on the blade he uses and the material used.

Dale Parrott

The obvious answer which I am sure you thought of is get a wider blade. A resaw blade will be wider especially the carbide ones. They are usually 1/2" to 3/4" wide They will be thicker. I am sure Ken will give you his dimensions on the blade he uses and the material used.
Thanks JT. I'm thinking the 1/2" and 3/4" won't cut the tight curves. Actually not sure the 3/8 will either. I used a 1/4 on my last posted project.

Dieseldoc

Thanks JT. I'm thinking the 1/2" and 3/4" won't cut the tight curves. Actually not sure the 3/8 will either. I used a 1/4 on my last posted project.

Dale:

I use knife building material from alphaknifesupply.com that is 0.015 thick with any band saw work that needs very thin color infills segmenting. Also make my own wood veneer with the Byrnes drum sander.

Charlie

KenB259

Dale:

I use knife building material from alphaknifesupply.com that is 0.015 thick with any band saw work that needs very thin color infills segmenting. Also make my own wood veneer with the Byrnes drum sander.

Charlie
I will check their thin stuff out. My bandsaw kerf is .048, so I need infill at .015, to get three in there.

KenB259

I sand it down to whatever size I need it to be, I can actually sand vaneer to size.

KenB259

I buy Timber Wolf Blades, current one on is 3/16. I imagine, even blades of the same manufacturer, would vary somewhat, everything has a tolerance. That's why I never cut a bunch of infill at once. I cut and sand it as needed. Found out long ago, that it will shrink and grow on you, depending on the humidity.

Dale Parrott

Dale:

Charlie
Charlie what is that material made of and what kind of glue do you use with it?

Richard92

That is really nice Ken appreciate the information on how you achieved it . I find doing the infills can be a pain. Do you mainly use vaneers for your infills as they are expensive in the UK?

Dale Parrott

I buy Timber Wolf Blades, current one on is 3/16. I imagine, even blades of the same manufacturer, would vary somewhat, everything has a tolerance. That's why I never cut a bunch of infill at once. I cut and sand it as needed. Found out long ago, that it will shrink and grow on you, depending on the humidity.
Thank you. I had assumed the veneer wasn't strong enough to be thickness sanded. I just gave it a try and went from .022 down to .016. Not a problem just go slowly. This is the thickness sander I bought and love it. Used my own motor and put a dust port on the top.
https://www.vanda-layindustries.com/html/the_hog_sander.html

Attachments

• hog_w_motor_1DISPLAY_new.jpg
    hog_w_motor_1DISPLAY_new.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 136

KenB259

jttheclockman

Thank you. I had assumed the veneer wasn't strong enough to be thickness sanded. I just gave it a try and went from .022 down to .016. Not a problem just go slowly. This is the thickness sander I bought and love it. Used my own motor and put a dust port on the top.
https://www.vanda-layindustries.com/html/the_hog_sander.html
Vandaly industries. Interesting. Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode with George pretending to work for Vandelay Industries. I thought he made that up. He then comes running out of the bathroom with his pants down by his ankles when Jerry picks up the phone but George did not tell him to mention the company because he was trying to scam unemployment or something. I laughed pretty darn hard.

KenB259

Vandaly industries. Interesting. Wasn't there a Seinfeld episode with George pretending to work for Vandelay Industries. I thought he made that up. He then comes running out of the bathroom with his pants down by his ankles when Jerry picks up the phone but George did not tell him to mention the company because he was trying to scam unemployment or something. I laughed pretty darn hard.

I was remembering that same Seinfeld episode myself.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Dale Parrott

It was a classic episode. I loved that show.

Top Bottom