Bash Planning Notes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
In the after bash comments several people mentioned that it would be nice if they knew what kind of kits would be needed for the contests so they could have them on hand for the bash. Any thoughts?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I can understand that concern. All I can offer is short of an actual contest announcement, I can certainly post a thread advertising my contests and a "basic" statement about the type of pen required. I can do that anytime for mine, somebody just say the word.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
As of 1/3/12:

Crossword Puzzle – Landon, Curtis

Photo Contest - Curtis

Beautiful Pen Contest - Landon

Beginner Pen Contest - Landon

Freestyle Pen Contest- Landon

Modified Pen Contest - Eric

Ugly Pen Contest - Scott

The Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest - NO ONE YET

Featured Pen Poll – mbroberg

Best Article Poll - TomW

Wood Identification Contest - NO ONE YET

Daily Trivia – Monty, Displaced Canadian, Phunky_2003, DaleCamino

Match the Shop - GoodTurns

Donation Drawing – Jeff

Casting Contest – Jonathon Brooks

Also willing to help are:

bensoelberg
pensbydesign
sumterdad

I will put them to work so if you need any help with your contest let me know.

I still don't have anyone for the Russ Fairfield Contest. I do have someone else in mind to ask but want to see what Jeff thinks about him first. I envision this as being the premier event of the BASH so I want to make sure we get someone well known in IAP circles.

We probably will not have a Wood Identification Contest this year.

CaptainG called me and offered a White Fiberglass (I think that is what he said), Rolex Watch Face pen blank and an Emperor Kit (Total Value Approx. $285.00) for an auction:biggrin::biggrin:

Ed / Andrew: What are the odds of having items from the prize bin to offer at auction? People seemed to enjoy last year's auctions (thanks Ed).

My next order of business tonight is to PM Charlie (New London88) to see if he can do plaques for us.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mike,

That link comes back with "page not found, but now that you're here, browse our millions of pictures (well that's close)"

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
That one worked, Thanks!!

REAL men drink Scotch "on the rocks".

Just doesn't sound right: "Yea, barkeep---make that drink "on the rocks"!!
(Yes, I DID say "applejuice"---what's wrong with that---keeps me goin steady!!)

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I did not really have a need for the glasses last year and most likely not this year either. That being said, for those who did I would guess they would again and the "new" item goes hand in hand. Pretty cool item.

TomW

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I am really close to completing my contest prep. I am planning to announce the guidelines soon, minus any specific details on prizes, as those will still need time to be determined. If anyone has any objections to me posting the info, let me know. I want to be sure everyone has the time to get the needed supplies. PM or post here if you have any concerns.

mbroberg

I'd like to take a look at everyone's rules before they are posted publicly. Either post them here or PM them to me. As far as making announcements, I say that would be good. Start building a buzz...........

mbroberg

bensoelberg will work with Charlie and the contest coordinators on the plaques. pensbydesign will also be joining us here in the "war room".

Buzzzz4

I'd like to take a look at everyone's rules before they are posted publicly. Either post them here or PM them to me. As far as making announcements, I say that would be good. Start building a buzz...........

Did you say Buzzz? Yes, I'm here.:tongue:
Working on something for mine. Trying to get up to speed.

bensoelberg

I've contacted Charlie about the plaques. I was planning on working with Ed again this year distributing prizes as well. Neither of those things will really take me that much time, so if you still need someone for the Russ Fairfield contest, let me know. I didn't know Russ, but I won last year so that might be my tie in.

Phunky_2003

I just made an order for casting supplies and thought it may be a good idea to pre post some announcement about the casting contest. For those who may want to enter who dont have supplies (takes about a week to get supplies). Then have enough time to cast and turn an entry.

Since this is a new contest .....

Brooks803

Thanks James, I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to run my idea past yall first before posting anything. I wanted to try and give everyone a level playing field by requiring atleast 2 different types of blanks to be cast. 1 would be a specific color blend (probably red,white, & blue) and another would be either an embedded object(s) OR Tube in type cast. My thinking is that way no one is a clear cut favorite. For example, I'm good a colors but not at snake skins or pepper flakes or feathers. I thought 2 blanks would be enough to showcase skill and not have to create too many pens. What are yall's thoughts?

bensoelberg

Thanks James, I was thinking the same thing. I wanted to run my idea past yall first before posting anything. I wanted to try and give everyone a level playing field by requiring atleast 2 different types of blanks to be cast. 1 would be a specific color blend (probably red,white, & blue) and another would be either an embedded object(s) OR Tube in type cast. My thinking is that way no one is a clear cut favorite. For example, I'm good a colors but not at snake skins or pepper flakes or feathers. I thought 2 blanks would be enough to showcase skill and not have to create too many pens. What are yall's thoughts?

Would you be willing to split it into 2 different contests? Someday I'd like to get into doing some color casting, but I have no interest in doing embedded objects. I'm sure that I'm not the only one who feels that way, so requiring both styles might turn away some potential contenders.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Jonathon, when you run a contest you can do WHATEVER you want, as long as Mike (Broberg) says ok. So, this is to be clearly taken as advice--nothing more.

One thing that happens when guys start competing is they cross new thresholds of ideas. IF you tell them "you must use red, white and blue" and somebody has a REALLY cool blank that is metallic color mixes--he no longer has to decide whether he will share his masterpiece--the rules make it ineligible.

So, I would SUGGEST that you keep rules broad (Use at least a three color mix?) This allows everyone to be creative along the lines that THEY have been moving. And it has the potential to show off blanks that have been previously unseen!!

FWIW!
Ed

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I don't cast at all. Do most people who cast do one or the other or both? Having to do both would show the best overall caster but may limit the field.
Good point, I do cast some but it is limited to stuff like, "worthless wood", pine cone blanks, pasta blanks, and the likes. I've never tried to make a swirled blank and most likely won't any time soon. I know a bunch of folks do both but maybe two categories is a possibility? Just thinking out loud here.

Buzzzz4

It sounds like for this competetion you are looking for the most versatile caster, which may not be the best cast. I do all of the above, but don't consider myself to be the best in all areas. If the prizes and powers allow it, I could see yours being split into two competitions.

Phunky_2003

Jonathon,

This being a new contest I only have a couple of pointers for you. Do your best at keeping the rules simple and precise. Some folks can / do and will find a way to complain.

I think 2 categories would be a good way to start. With at least say 2 of 3 colors specified. Example green and yellow then caster has some freedom to chose other colors. Or you'll be getting a lot of green/yellow/white swirl blanks that will pretty much be the same.

If you do 2 categories to include snakeskin imbedded objects ect. I'd think labels need to be excluded, I don't think printing from a image is that special.

All this said is just helpful advice... In the long run it's your contest to run.

Being a new contest keep notes for improvements for next year. I'd be happy to help with the planning if you need any. But I wanna play to since I got all these ideas floating around in my noggin.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

It sounds like for this competetion you are looking for the most versatile caster, which may not be the best cast. I do all of the above, but don't consider myself to be the best in all areas. If the prizes and powers allow it, I could see yours being split into two competitions.

Personal opinion: I think most of the people who enter the contests do it for "bragging rights". So, if you want to break it into a couple contests and it fits the outline Mike Broberg has set up for the bash, go for it!! (get Mike's OK, first)

Plaques are not expensive and the winner can display it forever.

Brooks803

Thanks for the feedback guys. If there's enough prizes I don't see a problem with doing 2 categories. Maybe split it up into 3 categories and give prizes to the first place in each?

Category #1 would be the color casting. That'd be a 3 color blank using colors that can be told apart from each other.

Category #2 would be Embedded object casting. This would be anything and everything cast in resin. Cactus, pine cone, pepper flakes, bowling ball parts, etc.

Category #3 would be tube on casting. This would be for the feather, coin, fly, scorpion, etc type blanks.

Decals and laser work wouldn't be eligible. If the prizes allow enough for each category to have a 1st, 2nd, 3rd place fine. Like I mentioned above we could give each 1st place a prize if that what it takes.

Also, I believe Alumilite is donating again this year...that would be a very nice/appropriate type prize I think :wink::biggrin:

I know this is mainly up to me, but what would be a good timeline for this contest? I was thinking it would be done Mid Feb (Probably the 17th). and have judging (Do I pick my own judges???) and winners announced by the 24th.

Thoughts?

Brooks803

Are there any objections to me posting a Pre-Bash thread letting everyone know about the casting contest? I'm sticking with what I have posted above. 3 categories, rules are simple (pretty much exactly what I have in the post) and each submission is to be a turned KIT pen. No laser engraving. I can't reject decals since they'd be eligible for the tube-on castings. I'll stress that myself and the judges are looking for unique well cast blanks/pens and high end kits or kit modifications although not against any rule will not be held any higher in status. Sound good?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Just one "friendly suggestion" Jonathon.

"High end kits" implies, to me, the Majestics and Emperors of the world.

Might be better to say something like: "We hope to see rollerballs, fountain pens and other "prestigious" writing instrument component sets (kits)"

Brooks803

Lol...nah Landon. I just wanted to give notice so people can start brainstorming and getting supplies together. Ed, my point for bringing up "high end" kits was to say that they'd be held in the same regard as any other kit like say a cigar kit as far as judging goes. Using an Emperor won't get you brownie points :wink::biggrin: Point taken though, I would like to see some really nice work when the entries start coming in!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually Jonathon, I PERSONALLY, think blanks like yours are better placed on a simple kit like the new Atrax. When you put "swirled colors" on the gaudy kits, they look really "over the top" to me.

So I think we agree in spirit---now how to say that without saying that!!

Brooks803

lol...I totally agree Ed. I've been partial to the full size gents (for me) for that very reason.

I'm writing out some rough drafts to try and bring the point home without getting confusing

mbroberg

No problem with posting some rules. Most members like the advance notice. I do think that in order to be clearer in what you mean to say, you need an additional period. instead of:

"I'll stress that myself and the judges are looking for unique well cast blanks/pens and high end kits or kit modifications although not against any rule will not be held any higher in status."

This would be clearer:

I'll stress that myself and the judges are looking for unique well cast blanks/pens. High end kits or kit modifications, although not against any rule, will not be held any higher in status. :)

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I'll stress that myself and the judges are looking for unique well cast blanks/pens. High end kits or kit modifications, although not against any rule, will not be held any higher in status. :)

I tell you---that Mike guy is REALLY WORTH that big check he gets!!!

Buzzzz4

Here's the plan for the Modified Component Pen Contest AKA :alien:Frankenpen:alien:

The challenge of taking a component pen and changing it to be more unique can be a great thrill. What is even better is that you have the chance to enter your creation for a chance at some fabulous prizes.

This is a contest to find creative ways to modify a ballpoint pen. It is open to all members and there are some great prizes to be won.

This contest will open on Feb 1, 2012 and close on Feb. 19, 2012 at 11:59pm without exception.

Rules for the Modified Component Pen Contest are ;

1 - Must use a ballpoint component set (kit) in the creation of your pen. At least 2 external components must be identifiable.
No fountain pen or rollerball pens will be accepted.

2 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1, 2012.

3 - Post your pen in the Modified Component Pen Contest thread with a description of your modifications.

4 - Winners will be chosen by Fit, Finish and the type and amount of the modification, so take the best pictures you can since this is all we will have to judge the quality of the fit and finish. Please limit number of photos to 3.

5 - A panel of judges will choose the top 5 pens in each contest and the final 3 will be chosen by an open poll.

6 - Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places.

That's it. Any additions, subtractions, multiplications I should add?
Thanks!

Last edited:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Here's the plan for the Modified Component Pen Contest AKA :alien:Frankenpen:alien:

The challenge of taking a component pen and changing it to be more unique can be a great thrill. What is even better is that you have the chance to enter your creation for a chance at some fabulous prizes.

This is a contest to find creative ways to modify a ballpoint pen. It is open to all members and there are some great prizes to be won.

This contest will open on Feb 1, 2012 and close on Feb. 19, 2012 at 11:59pm without exception.

Rules for the Modified Component Pen Contest are ;

1 - Must use a ballpoint component set (kit) in the creation of your pen. At least 2 external components must be identifiable.
No fountain pen or rollerball pens will be accepted.

2 - The pen must be made for the contest by the person entering the contest and not have been shown before Feb 1, 2012.

3 - Post your pen in the Modified Component Pen Contest thread with a description of your modifications.

4 - Winners will be chosen by Fit, Finish and the type and amount of the modification, so take the best pictures you can since this is all we will have to judge the quality of the fit and finish. Please limit number of photos to 3.

5 - A panel of judges will choose the top 5 pens in each contest and the final 3 will be chosen by an open poll.

6 - Prizes will be awarded for first, second and third places.

That's it. Any additions, subtractions, multiplications I should add?
Thanks!
My only comment would be to specify the time zone you are using for the deadline. If using forum time or something else does not matter but I would make a point of stating it to avoid any complications. Been there, done that, so I know it happens.:wink:

Top Bottom