Bash Planning Notes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Just a quick note to let you all know where I am at as far as the fast approaching Birthday Bash.

Featured Pen Poll – Mbroberg
Edible Pen Contest – workinforwood
Match the Shop – Goodturns (This is a new contest that involves members trying to match pictures of shops to their owners.
Best Article Poll - TomW

Activities for which I do not have a confirmed coordinator:

Crossword Puzzle
Photo Contest
Beautiful Pen Contest
Beginner Pen Contest
Freestyle Pen Contest
Modified Pen Contest
Ugly Pen Contest
The Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest
Wood Identification Contest
Daily Trivia

I have sent Pms to Hunter_27, lbd2000 (is he still alive?), Mesquiteman, Scott, JerrySambrook, and Displaced Canadian asking if they will do the contests they did last year and/or any others.

Additional volunteers that will be used in some capacity are:

DaleCamino
bensoelberg
pensbydesign

Andrew will be gathering goodies, Ed will be giving them away.
As always, Jeff is doing the Donation drawing and Mugs
I will need to be able to give the volunteers access to the Bash planning thread
What am I missing?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If we want plaques, we need someone to do that.

If we want to do the engraved glasses, we need a "spearhead"

I will be happy to do the prizes, should someone else do the allocation? (Is some member going to scream "conflict of interests", for any part of what I have done, in the past?)

Just want to avoid any "aspersions" being cast on the bash!!!

Phunky_2003

Conflic........ just kidding!

I can do whatever is needed. I'd like to run a pen contest if one is available, but will fill in wherever I'm needed.

I will again help Ed with co-ordinating prize delivery and confirmation prizes recieved ect.

Just let me know where I can help.

mbroberg

If we want plaques, we need someone to do that.

If we want to do the engraved glasses, we need a "spearhead"

I will be happy to do the prizes, should someone else do the allocation? (Is some member going to scream "conflict of interests", for any part of what I have done, in the past?)

Just want to avoid any "aspersions" being cast on the bash!!!

Can you recommend anyone for the plaques and/or glasses?

I personally don't care if people yell, scream or whatever. I'll happily tell them that I asked you to help AGAIN, and they can save there breath.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We did not approach it in a business-like manner, and we had a couple comments about that, which were justified.

What we did? NewLondon88 (Charlie) had done them on short notice the prior year and he had created a set of glasses or two, which he gave away, I think. So, we gave him the business.

I think the glasses could be sold, I think the plaques will help when there are fewer product donations.

But they really SHOULD be sourced, I suppose.

Loyalty to Charlie???? How passe!!

mbroberg

Events with coordinator:

Featured Pen Poll – Mbroberg
Edible Pen Contest – workinforwood
Match the Shop – Goodturns (This is a new contest that involves members trying to match pictures of shops to their owners.
Best Article Poll - TomW
Crossword Puzzles - Hunter_27 and Mesquiteman
Photo Contest - Mesquiteman
Freestyle Pen Contest - Hunter_27
Ugly Pen Contest - Scott

Activities for which I do not have a confirmed coordinator:

Beautiful Pen Contest
Beginner Pen Contest
Modified Pen Contest
The Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest
Wood Identification Contest
Daily Trivia

Additional volunteers:

Displaced Canadian
DaleCamino
bensoelberg
pensbydesign

I have not heard yet from Butch or Jerry Sambrook.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Mike, I'd take the Wood ID contest because I have a lot of wood I don't know what it is, but I guess you really want me to kow what it is.
I'd be glad to help with a week or two of trivia, or anywhere else behind the scenes.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I can pick up the Beautiful Pen Contest and the Beginner Pen Contest if you want, since Butch seems absent. Someone else should do the Modified contest as that is not really an area I do much work in. If Butch shows up that would be best but just let me know.

Last edited:

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
I've got a bit of an issue...

I always get the prizes, and I usually start now (or earlier)

But with the impending bank renovation deadline (they're demanding I renovate the home before it's truly 'mine', so I've got to get it done by Jan), I've taken time off of work already just to finish that. Then I'm going back to work in January and will have exams to create, administer, and mark...

I don't know that I can do what Iv'e done in terms of prize gathering the last few years, I'm embarassed to say...

mbroberg

I've got a bit of an issue...

I always get the prizes, and I usually start now (or earlier)

But with the impending bank renovation deadline (they're demanding I renovate the home before it's truly 'mine', so I've got to get it done by Jan), I've taken time off of work already just to finish that. Then I'm going back to work in January and will have exams to create, administer, and mark...

I don't know that I can do what Iv'e done in terms of prize gathering the last few years, I'm embarassed to say...

OK. I have no idea what it is you do to obtain the prizes. I guess we should have a chat. We should probably have a phone conversation. Give me a call at 614-774-7676. Don't be offended if I don't answer right away or tell you that I can't talk right at the moment. My weekly schedule is kinda tight but there is no harm in calling. Evenings are best. I will be off for a couple of weeks starting 12/19. Let me know what is involved and I'll try to recruit someone. If you know of a member that could step in by all means put him, or her, to work.

mbroberg

Mike, LMK where I can help. (Besides with Ed's sanity)

I would prefer background stuff though - not running a contest.

thanks Dawn. You are where few people want to be. On my list!:eek:

Edit in: After thought: How are you at charming vendors out of prizes?

Last edited:

mbroberg

Mike, I'd take the Wood ID contest because I have a lot of wood I don't know what it is, but I guess you really want me to kow what it is.
I'd be glad to help with a week or two of trivia, or anywhere else behind the scenes.

Thanks! I'll put you down for trivia. I think I will have the two members who did Trivia last year as well. Chris (Displaced Canadian) has suggested that the questions and answers be vetted before hand by the Management Team. I guess last time there were some issues that caused the guys some grief.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
With Andrew understandably somewhat out of service, is there another member we might be able to call on to contact the vendors? Ideally I'd like to see 15 nice donated prizes this year. Thoughts?

mbroberg

I can pick up the Beautiful Pen Contest and the Beginner Pen Contest if you want, since Butch seems absent. Someone else should do the Modified contest as that is not really an area I do much work in. If Butch shows up that would be best but just let me know.

You got them Thanks!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Thanks! I'll put you down for trivia. I think I will have the two members who did Trivia last year as well. Chris (Displaced Canadian) has suggested that the questions and answers be vetted before hand by the Management Team. I guess last time there were some issues that caused the guys some grief.

We did see the questions ahead of time in the planning thread.

No matter what, there will be people who don't like the way the questions are written or they have "better answers".

Ask who complained the loudest last year and invite THEM to write some of the questions and answers (Or see if the SAT or ACT writers will do our questions---as I recall, there have been complaints about THEIR questions, as well)

mbroberg

Here is the latest.

Crossword Puzzle – Landon, Curtis

Photo Contest - Curtis

Beautiful Pen Contest - Landon

Beginner Pen Contest - Landon

Freestyle Pen Contest- Landon

Modified Pen Contest (pm sent to Buzzzz4)

Ugly Pen Contest - Scott

The Russ Fairfield Memorial Modified Slimline Contest (pm sent to Scott)

Featured Pen Poll – mbroberg

Best Article Poll - TomW

Wood Identification Contest (Jerry Sambrook said maybe)

Daily Trivia – Monty, Displaced Canadian, Phunky_2003, DaleCamino

Edible Pen Contest - Workinforwood

Match the Shop - GoodTurns

Donation Drawing – Jeff

Casting Contest – (pm sent to Jonathon Brooks)

Also willing to help are:
PR_Princess
bensoelberg
pensbydesign

I think we have a pretty good group of people here!:biggrin:

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam

We did see the questions ahead of time in the planning thread.

No matter what, there will be people who don't like the way the questions are written or they have "better answers".

Ask who complained the loudest last year and invite THEM to write some of the questions and answers (Or see if the SAT or ACT writers will do our questions---as I recall, there have been complaints about THEIR questions, as well)
As I did last year on the final puzzle----For the purpose of the contest, if there are more than one correct answer, the one I selected is the CORRECT one. :eek::biggrin::wink:

mbroberg

OK. Buzzz4 will do the Modified pen Contest. Brooks_803 will run a casting contest.I'll give Jerry a little more time to make up his mind about the Wood ID Contest. That leaves the Russ Fairfield Contest. Scott can not do it. He will be traveling during February and thinks that the Ugly Pen Contest will be all that he can handle.

What thoughts do you all have about reaching out to Kurt Hertzog to run this contest in Russ' honor? Or, do any of you know of anyone else that could do it?

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I can also help Landon with the crossword puzzle if he needs help and can again do entry forms as needed for various contests.
I am banking on your help, thanks.:biggrin:

As far as entry forms, I liked them a lot. It seems I will be in charge of several contests, will you be ok with helping me set them up on each?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Russ Fairfield contest should be a BIG deal. In trying to find a "chairperson", has anyone considered Ed Davidson (Yoyospin)? I believe Ed knew Russ and Ed will manage a project well, if he agrees to do it.

Yes, no??? Any other CANDIDATES???

mbroberg

The Basics

For all who are chairing Bash Activities...........

In planning your activites please refer to the general Rules for IAP Activities. .

It would be great if the rules to your respective activities were posted by 1/25/12. This is especially true for those contests involving pen making, photography, etc.

As of right now the following people are banned from IP activities due to non-compliance in previous activites:

kennspens, johnkofi, CrashMPH, Ozne69, indychips, livertrans, Phillywood.

Please do the best you can to assure that participants in your activites have properly completed their public profile.

Remember, this is an International site so our foreign members cannot be excluded from any activity.

If you will be having a poll, feel free to start a practice thread here. I know that I have never been able to get a poll working properly on the first try. I usually need Curtis' help.

Don't hesitate to bounce ideas off other BASH planners here. That is what the 2012 BASH Planning thread is about.

We still need people to run the Russ Fairfield contest and the Woods Identification Contest. As suggested by Ed Brown, I have asked Jeff Brown to contact Ed Davidson about running it. If I can't find someone for the Wood ID contest we will just scrap it this year. The Edible Pen contest has been eliminated.

We are not as advanced in the planning of this BASH as I think we should be. That is my fault. I have not been on the site as often as I would like lately, but will try to check in daily. My cell is 614-774-7676. Call if you need anything. The good news is that I will retire in 2012 so I will have much more time to devote to the fun things in life, such as the IAP.

I love the BASH. You are all the reason why. This is the site's premier activity and it would not be possible if not for your generosity. THANK YOU!!

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I can and will have my pen contests rules ready to be posted by that date Mike. They may be ready sooner as I am not going to try and reinvent the wheel from last year. I might put a new set of tires on them but the basic wheel will remain the same.:biggrin:

Have we confirmed anything regarding the plaques? As I have said before , if we need to pass a plate to fund them, I'll be right there to help.

If anyone has any opinions on what any of the pen contests Butch did last year ie. Beginners Beautiful and the Beautiful contests, I'd sure like to hear them. If not I am tweeking a couple things and pretty much running them the same as he did.

I will get a puzzle contest ready as well. It is a bit harder to find good clues this year as I used up a lot of trivia with last years. It will require no real advance notice so I should be fine there as far as time goes. If anyone happens to have any of that "useless knowledge" in there heads and would like me to try and incorporate it in, please PM me.

If anyone wants to discuss anything with me but hates to type as much as I do. Here is my cell: 3084301477 If I don't answer leave me a message and I'll return your call.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Land0n----

I don't know how the crossword is designed, but I would guess you give the software a bunch of words (answers) and it designs a puzzle. IF I am correct, or close, you might go to the trivia from each prior year and find answers (if you can't get at the past trivia, I would assume Jeff can give you access to those threads with a tweek or two). With 8 years at 28 days each, we have over 300 "answers"---boiling them down to one word may be difficult---but it might be a reasonable place to start.

FWIW

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Land0n----

I don't know how the crossword is designed, but I would guess you give the software a bunch of words (answers) and it designs a puzzle. IF I am correct, or close, you might go to the trivia from each prior year and find answers (if you can't get at the past trivia, I would assume Jeff can give you access to those threads with a tweek or two). With 8 years at 28 days each, we have over 300 "answers"---boiling them down to one word may be difficult---but it might be a reasonable place to start.

FWIW
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH. You are giving away some of my secret hiding spots for answers. :eek::wink:

I actually used some of those last year, will find more I'm sure. My challenge is to find answers and clues that cannot just be located with a simple "google" search. I have had to search in the dark corners of the internet to make it a challenge.

I have some stuff lined up, I'm just always willing to accept others input. I actually decided that some people ARE smarter than me.:tongue:

Phunky_2003

Mike,

I am here and ready to go, I will start a thread in a few days and start posting trivia questions there...

Ed,

Just pm me what I can do to help with the prize allocation followup stuff and I will be good to help with that too.

If anybody else needs help let me know, I've been retired and bored silly so I got plenty of time to help.

TomW

I'm here Mike.. Last of the grandkids leaves at 4am tomorrow. Time for Gramps to rest.

Tom

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I

Have we confirmed anything regarding the plaques?

Nope. Should I reach out to Charlie, put a general call for help out to the masses or get some prices from some local shops? Opinions?
I suspect Charlie will be in the ball park on pricing but I could be wrong. I guess I would like to see him have the option to do them again before we look elsewhere.

Scott

I am here!

Sorry I couldn't handle the Russ contest in addition to the Ugly Pen contest. If Ed Davidson would do it that would be great!

Can we get entry forms done up like we did last year? That was nice.

Scott.

mbroberg

Don't worry about the Russ contest. it will be handled one way or another. I'm thankful to those who step up and do what they can.

Curtis said he would handle entry forms again this year.

I am here!

Sorry I couldn't handle the Russ contest in addition to the Ugly Pen contest. If Ed Davidson would do it that would be great!

Can we get entry forms done up like we did last year? That was nice.

Scott.

mbroberg

I still have:

bensoelberg
pensbydesign

willing to help, but unassigned. The Princess has told me that Bruce Robbins would also be willing to help. Before I just randomly assign them somewhere, any suggestions as to where to plug them in?

Top Bottom