Baltic birch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Blackwood

I have a customer who wants a pen made from Baltic birch, but all I can find is the plywood, does anyone have any ideas where I could find it or maybe just birch? Also is birch too soft to use for a pen. Thanks for your help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bradh

Baltic Birch aka Russian Birch comes from Russia or Scandinavia. Most of it comes in as plywood. Tried checking my sources for more information and could not come up with more than this so far. I have not seen any sources for just the wood.
It should make a decent pen, the wood is reasonably hard and I have made many pens from softer woods. The issue will be with the plain nature of the grain, would not be very interesting unless you use a knot or burl piece. Even then I seem to remember that there is not a very distinct colour difference between the summer/winter ring zones of the grain.

Last edited:

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
i made several out of baltic birch 3/4 plywood, just can t find pictures now..

(poor pictures)

Attachments

• IMG_0274.jpg
    IMG_0274.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0259a.jpg
    IMG_0259a.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 284
Last edited:

Karl_99

Would Masir birch from Norway be a suitable alternative? It has a very interesting grain pattern. It is also fairly easy to source for pen blanks.

Blackwood

Baltic Birch aka Russian Birch comes from Russia or Scandinavia. Most of it comes in as plywood. Tried checking my sources for more information and could not come up with more than this so far. I have not seen any sources for just the wood.
It should make a decent pen, the wood is reasonably hard and I have made many pens from softer woods. The issue will be with the plain nature of the grain, would not be very interesting unless you use a knot or burl piece. Even then I seem to remember that there is not a very distinct colour difference between the summer/winter ring zones of the grain.

Thank you for the reply Brady,
The guy is from Scandinavia originally, he wanted it as a gift for his brother. I asked if he would like a contrasting wood or design do to the plain look of birch. He just wanted it plain to remind him of his homeland. I've been checking Craigslist for free IKEA furniture as a last resort. But no luck..

Blackwood

i made several out of baltic birch 3/4 plywood, just can t find pictures now..

(poor pictures)

very nice pens, great design. I ran the plywood past him as soon as he asked for Baltic birch and he wanted it solid and plain as the wood would be.

Blackwood

Would Masir birch from Norway be a suitable alternative? It has a very interesting grain pattern. It is also fairly easy to source for pen blanks.

That's definitely a better choice I would think, much more interesting to look at! Thanks for that. I will run that by
him.

designer

What about going to Lumber Liquidators and getting a sample piece of flooring? A whole box would be expensive, but a sample....

Also, burlsource.com has some Masur burl pen blanks.

Blackwood

Thank you everyone for the help, I'm going to make one of each and see which he likes. Will post the result. Thanx again ☺

Top Bottom