Back From The Darkness.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BigRob777

I don't know how many of my old friends are still here. I learned to turn pens by the instruction of DCBluesman, here on IAP. I used to sell a lot of blanks here. I had to quit turning and selling because of a severe case of arthritis in both thumbs. I have had 2 bouts with cancer and the fallout from breaking my back hasn't helped any either. I am hoping to pick up some tips from you good people on how to turn pens without the use of my thumbs. I hope it is possible, because I really miss turning.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

johncrane

Welcome back Big Rob! im sure you sold me blanks a long time ago cant remember what they where, just thinking about turning with no thumbs i think you could attach a wood or steel handsaw handle to a turning tool, might work you would be able to make a grip with just your fingers just a thought Bob best wishers :)

FGarbrecht

Hi Rob. You might consider getting a referral to a good physical or occupational therapist. I work in a chronic rehab unit for kids and our PT/OT people are very skilled in figuring out adaptations to restore function when there are fixed functional problems like this. Also, not knowing anything about your medical situation, I assume you've explored various medical options (with your primary care doc, rheumatologist and/or orthopedic / hand surgeon) whether there may be medical or surgical treatments to reverse or stabilize the primary problem with your thumbs. Best wishes and good luck!

Hi Rob, compared to you I'm a newby but I'm glad your back. Way back in the very early 80's I had reconstructive surgery done to my left thumb from an injury while in the Navy. I've learned to turn left handed and my palm holds the business end of the lathe tool against what's being turned and my right hand, palm area, controls the the swing and up and down of the tool. My thumbs aren't really involved in the turning at all. Takes some time to get used to but it's how I learned to turn and I've adapted it to pen making also. I'm pretty sure with a therapist and practice you'll figure out what works for you. Good luck and don't give up!

leehljp

Member Liaison
Welcome back and it sure seems like I bought a few from you. IF I didn't buy any, I sure coveted a few! ;)

As to turning without the use of your thumbs, - I have been around several carpenters/woodworkers who have lost a thumb or finger long ago and you would never know it. It takes a few months to a couple of years. I lost the tip of my right hand thumb at the back of the fingernail while working on a graduate degree; it didn't take me long to learn to write as though I was using chop sticks. Give it a try! There's more than one way to skin a cat or use a lathe chisel. :)

Last edited:

BigRob777

[Thanks.QUOTE="FGarbrecht, post: 2076618, member: 40884"]
Hi Rob. You might consider getting a referral to a good physical or occupational therapist. I work in a chronic rehab unit for kids and our PT/OT people are very skilled in figuring out adaptations to restore function when there are fixed functional problems like this. Also, not knowing anything about your medical situation, I assume you've explored various medical options (with your primary care doc, rheumatologist and/or orthopedic / hand surgeon) whether there may be medical or surgical treatments to reverse or stabilize the primary problem with your thumbs. Best wishes and good luck!
[/QUOTE]
Welcome back Rob.
Welcome back Rob.
Hey Jim. Missed ya.
Welcome back. Think I still have some curly koa I got from you at a Nova meeting.

howsitwork

Rob

I dont know you so it's not welcome back but welcome !

Having seen what veterans in the rehab unit here in North Yorkshire can do to work within their limitations physical and mental, you can do it ! Have faith, try , and like learning to turn ambidextrously you will succeed.

If in doubt a large coffee and biscuit of your choice help ! Sure it will at times be frustrating ( you only have to look at the help requests to see that ) but there's the satisfaction in achieving what you want.

Have fun and WELCOME

Top Bottom