ARRRG TransTint Liquid Dye: JSN!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
JSN: Just Say NO!

Most of you are probably familiar with my TransTint vs CA issues described here: http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23810

Well today I tried another TransTint dye experiment. I need black PR and have clear. Since I already had the black liquid TransTint dye I thought I would try that.

I did two casts in dixie cups, each one using 1 oz of resin. According to the instructions I needed 10 drops of activator. I used 20 drops. One cup was with just the clear resin. The other cup was clear resin with black liquid TransTint dye.

In 1/2 an hour the clear was hard and HOT. The black was still as liquid as when I poured it.
In 1 hour the clear was hard and cooling. The black was still as liquid as when I poured it.
In 1.5 hours the clear was hard and cool. The black was still as liquid as when I poured it.

I'll let it sit overnight just to see if it ever hardens but based on this experiment combined with the reactions I had with the liquid TransTint dye and CA glue I think I won't use liquid TransTint dyes for any other projects.

GK

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Some pigments just take more time to cure. If this is PR resin, it will cure eventually - may take a couple of days or even a week, but it will become useful. Has happened to me several times with red and some blacks but I always got a usable blank.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Bruce,

After I got your note I checked again. After 6 hours it is indeed starting to gel so you are right it will eventually work.

GK

Draken

I too have had PR take weeks to finally finish the hardening process. It was red and black swirled. Took about a week to firm up enough to remove from the mold, but they stayed soft and flexible for about another week. Haven't yet tried turning them... When I have some that are being pesky like this, I put them in a box with a light bulb, the extra heat seems to help them a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom