2nd Attempt at casting logo pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevej72

I cast this on Tuesday using some of the ideas of people that responded to my last post. Since I didn't have an ultrasonic cleaner I put the PR into my pressure pot after mixing it for 10 minutes under vacuum before pouring it into the mold. I used slightly large corks and put lead shot in for weight. Then after pouring into the mold I put it under 15 to 20 pounds of pressure. I used 3 drops per ounce of Castin' Craft clear resin. No PR in the tubes this time. It seemed quite brittle and I tore a chunk out on the back side. Also, the seam on my label looks awful, should I have done something different with that? I do need to paint the tube next time.

I did stop by HF and buy an ultrasonic cleaner this afternoon.
Thanks in advance, Steve

200772004227_DSC00525.jpg

This shows the seam of the label.
20077200430_DSC00528.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rhahnfl

Hey Steve... I made my first snake skin tonight and had a little problem with it tearing also. I switched to sand paper and then began dipping the sand paper in water... covered the lathe bed with a towel to keep drippings out of the motor. Ended up filling the tear with thick CA... wish I had accelerant. But it dried and I continued on. It took awhile with the sand paper but I think I had far less problems after I switched to it. Hope that maybe helps.

Double cut your label, make it a little long start to glur it up from the middle and over lap the end . Then cutting through both of them you have a seamless fit like carpet or veneer. I have never done this but this is how i will try it when I come up with a cool idea, oh and I learn how to turn pens first,LOL. Good luck keep posting your results, The pen looks very nice even if you are not happy with your seam. Landfilllumber

polarbear1

if you try to make the seam touch it will pull slightly apart in the resin and you will see the tube through it. I get my best results painting the tube white and surrounding my logo with a black border and let the border overlap at the seam. this is more forgiving if your cut is not perfectly straight

stevers

Very nice for the second attempt. Looks good other then the chip. I really can't see the seam on my monitor. Have you talked to Bruce R? He mastered the seam issue on the Seahawks blank he did for me. So clean, you have to really look for it.
If I ever get some resin, I'll give my stuff a try. I will be casting a paper wrapped blank also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom