Anyone do plugs?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from micah

micah

Hey, just got my second pair of plugs done today and was wondering if anyone else here is doing them? I haven't found an easy way of doing it though... I am starting out with a blank of wood in a barracuda chuck, turning the end down to the desired size and shape, cutting it of then placing the plug just barely inside the chuck to finish turning the backside, then swapping it back and forth in the chuck to finish it out.... anyone know of a better way of doing this?!?! Any certain chuck or tool that may help?
p1060153b.jpg

wood-of-1kind

There was a pen turner here that was making earplugs. He hasn't posted in some time. Some of the plugs were very 'large'. Ouch, my earlobe hurts.:biggrin:

bitshird

There used to be a turner on here that did plugs, and as far as a tool that will make it easier, a Beal collet chuck would make life much easier up to 3/4 inch OD, there are other collet ER style chucks but the Beal is about the best, CSUSA has a cheap set in their apprentice line. but not too impressed with it. You can find ER-32 collet chucks with MT-2 tapers that will fit your headstock on most smaller lathes up to some 16 x 42s but most 10 inch lathes use an MT-2 a few goofy ones use an MT-1 taper, not sure what you'd do in that situation!!!

gvanweerd

I have some friends of mine asking if i could made some out of acrylic. but i haven't tryed to do any. keep us posted on how you do. the ones you posted here look good.

micah

The outside diameter on these are 1". I'll look into the collet chucks. I've not looked into those as of yet, so that might be an option. I've just got to figure out a way to hold the plugs from the inside so that I can do some finish turning and sanding to the outside and then something to hold the outside to finish the inside... my head is hurting! :)
Here is my first pair that I did Friday. The pic is with my buddy wearing them. They are made from Osage.
mailgooglecomzg.jpg

RNelson

My first thought would be to take the jaws off your chuck & bolt a block of wood to each slide. Then you can turn any size dia. you need with a little groove on the inside to hold the plug when you reverse it. I have bolted wood to a set of (flat jaws) for my oneway Stronghold, worked quite well.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
The easist way would be to make a mandrell that the plugs slid over and had a screw with a washer to hold them on. You can make it out of wood. I make several mandrells to hold different parts all the time all though i use brass most of the time. you could also make it so the mandrell had a shoulder smaller than the od of the plug than way you could work both front and back and the edge.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
YOu might also make a mandrell that is a very very snug fit, drill a 1/8 hole in the end of the mandrel cut it into quarters on the band saw.(2 cuts 90 degrees apart 1 inch deep) run a #10 or 12 screw into the drilled hole after you slide the plug on to expand the mandrell.

micah

Thanks for your guys suggestions. I will look into all them and try to figure out the best for my needs. I did think about making a mandrel the plugs could slide up on, the only thing is if I decide to expand this and maybe sell a few, the size of the inner hole will differ from set to set. This would all depend on what gauge of plugs the person is ordering. For instance, these are 1" in outside diameter while someone else may only want one that is 5/8"... I thought about taking a piece of delrin and tapering it down to a a point to at least be able to sand and finish the outside. Then I would just have to figure out how to keep it from sliding down. Maybe some rubberbands or something.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Make all your plugs of a given size with the same size center hole. make one mandrel for each size hole you will use and then store them. If you make them out of poplar or oak they will last a long time they will be cheap enough to make, and if you screw one up make another. No different than different sized bushing fro different pen kits.

JAZNCARR

If what your doing works then keep at it.. I made a set of 0 gauges for a friend out of a acrylic bottle stopper blank because I didn't know how CA and or tung oil would do with everyday wearing, bathing etc.. and i used basically the same method back and forth... they look good

Haynie

I'm so glad you posted a pic..... I was lost for a little while. Does this mean I'm getting old.

Dave

You and me both.:frown: First I can sing along with every thing on the classic radio station AND attach some pretty wild memories to the songs, now this. Where is my walker?

micah

Willie, pm back at ya. Thanks!
alphageek, those would definitely work on the larger ones.
I have gotten a lot of great suggestions so far. Thanks!

micah

Very Nice, never thought that could be done. And I thought they were called gauges

Around here they are commonly called plugs and the size of them are measured in gauges. Though different people and places refer to many things in different ways.
Thanks for the compliment!

GrantH

The differences in size are the biggest hurdle, but have you looked at using a Waste Block? This is how pendants and similar are used. You could turn the overall shape and size on the waste block and then drill in a small drill press. This would allow for off center drilling and such as well. Something a lathe needs another special piece for.

Just another suggestion.

GrantH

I've also seen expanding pieces that fit stock Type A mandrels. I saw them in a video though, so I don't have a place for you to look. I'd bet they were easily found.

greggas

Micah;

I made some for kicks last year and ended up selling quite a few pair at summer and fall show.

I start with a turning square in a chuck . Turn the outside shape, sand and finish, drill ( or turn...depends on size) the inside diameter making sure not to go past the far side of the finished piece. Sand and finish the interior and then part off. The Plug is then fitted n a very small jamb chuck which allows me to finish the side tat was parted.

I found instruction for turning rings helpful with the process

greggas

Hello- sorry a bit late to this thread but i make them too

I simply hold the stock in a chuck and do the concave saddle and one face then part them off and make a jam chuck to do the other face

these are all 2"

2" !!! Ouch....I always wonder what these folks will do when plugs are out of style yet they have large holes in their ears.....reminds me of some old National Geographic magazines I saw as a kid

juteck

For the plugs with hole in the center, turning the hole first, then using a friction mandrel to turn the outside would be the same as turning a ring. I remember Fred Holder of More Woodturning wrote an article on turning wooden rings/wedding bands. A search for turning wooden rings might help.

For the solid plugs, I'd think a face block using double sided tape or a hot glue block might be a good approach. Another approach would be to make a set of wooden jaws for your chuck, and cut a dovetail recess in those jaws to closely match the diameter of the plug.

One more option is to make your own custom collet chucks that you can use with your current 4-jaw chuck. I first saw this technique from Mark St. Leger -- you can see a small example here: Detail Info

There are also a couple of books for woodturning jewelry -- I can't remember which one it was, but one of the two goes into good detail on how to make your own chucks and other holding techniques for small pieces using tape, glue, string, etc. I think it was Ditmer's book, but not sure.

Last edited:

WillieD

I have two methods that work well for me. I mostly use Nova brand chucks. Method #1 is to dedicate a set of Pin jaws to finishing, and glue strips of 1/8" leather to the business faces of the jaws. Method #2 is to buy a set of the plastic jaws for the Nova and turn them to a shape that works well. I turn a bunch of pairs with a regular set of Pin jaws, then put the leather or plastic set on and finish them all.

I get pretty good production rates. I can turn about 40 to 50 sets per day.

The real trick here is to finish with a product that is safe for constant contact with the skin. There are also wood species that should never be used for jewelry.

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
These are not much different than the rings I make.

I use a home made expanding chuck that I turned on my lathe from a scrap of hardwood.

The example is 3/4" OD on the fingers, but any diameter will do

I use the 60 degree live center to expand the "fingers" of the expanding chuck.

I make the rings a consistent size

Once round, I use some home made wooden jaws on my scroll chuck to hold the rings and turn the inside to the desired diameter.

The curve on the inside of the jaws was made with a Forstner bit to get good holding power. The ring blank OD matches the jaws at this point.

I then use the taper mandrel to hold the ring with a friction fit to turn the outside.

Attachments

• Rings 002.jpg
    Rings 002.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Maple Bloodwood Ring 01.jpg
    Maple Bloodwood Ring 01.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 127
  • Ring Jigs 01.jpg
    Ring Jigs 01.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 165

micah

Wow! Thanks everyone for all the ideas and info. It's been real helpful.
I sure would like to see an example of the custom wood jaws that a couple of you have suggested, if anyone would care to snap a pic. Sounds like they may be real helpful.
I won't address everyone, since there has been a lot of feedback and I do have to go to bed soon, but I wanted to thank each and everyone one of you for responding!
The pics of the plugs were awesome! Nice job!
Also, thanks for the pics of the rings and some of your tools, that helps a bunch! Looks as though I may have a small market around here for the plugs so I may make a few to sell to the local tattoo and piercing places if they are interested.
I may try a ring or two as well. Those look cool. Just wish I could do segmenting. I wouldn't know where to start! :)
Here is what I did tonight... 7/16" plugs Ebony and Amboyna Burl.
p1060154h.jpg

Xander

When I am turning small things like your plugs I use sanding drums. I have a set like these 20 Piece Sanding Drum Kit
They are similar to the set sold by PSI, but a lot less expensive. They work great and I have since bought many different sizes and lengths.

They make similar drum sanders for the Dremel tool. Usually smaller sizes, I think maybe 1/4 dia. Not sure, it's been awhile (30 years :eek:) since I used one

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
In my photo of tools, there is a wooden jaw. When I get home from work, I'll install the jaw set on a chuck, and take a photo of a ring being held in them

MartinPens

bluwolf said:
These expanding mandrels might work pretty well for what you're trying to do. I tried for a direct link but it doesn't seem to work. Go here and type 25145 in the search box.

CDCO Machinery Corp.

Mike

Interesting site. The expanding arbor set just might need to find a place in my shop!

I was also wondering about finishes on wood that would work for skin contact. Acrylics, I imagine would be fine.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

Top Bottom