Any ideas on sharpening bead tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I dont have a problem with sharpening the edges of these but they are basically useless if I cant sharpen the inside of the bead area. Any suggestions?
Thanks, Bobby

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

Do they sell them as a mixed size set or do I just get one that is the smallest bead size and use it for all of them?

eharri446

Lay the flat of the tool with the bevel pointing thin edge down on a piece of 320 wet or dry sand paper on a piece of glass if you have one or any flat surface and rub the flat of the tool on the sandpaper. You can also use a sharpening stone of you have one or even one of the diamond credit card hones. That will put the angle back on your tool.

jttheclockman

Do they sell them as a mixed size set or do I just get one that is the smallest bead size and use it for all of them?

As mentioned you do not sharpen the coves, you sharpen the flat edge and just a touch up with a diamond card is all you need. Same thing with scrapers. Flat side

JimB

You can get them in different sizes to make different size beads.

You can also learn to roll beads with a detail gouge or skew so you can make any size bead you want.

bsshog40

That is a good video. I have been practicing doing beads with my gouge and skews. I just bought the bead tools thinking they would be a nice easy bead. I think I'll grind them and just try to sand the inside. Thanks y'all!

lorbay

That is a good video. I have been practicing doing beads with my gouge and skews. I just bought the bead tools thinking they would be a nice easy bead. I think I'll grind them and just try to sand the inside. Thanks y'all!

Well without one of his beading tools doing these handles would be a real chore.
3 beads on each one, and 200 a month.
Lin

Attachments

• 20180511_182638.jpg
    20180511_182638.jpg
    193.5 KB · Views: 144

duncsuss

I'm not sure if you understood exactly what people were telling you.

They were saying, in different words, "DO NOT try to sharpen the inside".

Take the bead tool, lay it flat on a sharpening stone, and slide it around.

bsshog40

Ok, so these are what my bead tools look like. I can sharpen the outsides but it feels like the inside of the coves are not sharp. They will start to cut the bead but burn my wood more than it does cut when it gets to the cove. So sharpen these flat?

bead tools.jpg

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Ok, so these are what my bead tools look like. I can sharpen the outsides but it feels like the inside of the coves are not sharp. They will start to cut the bead but burn my wood more than it does cut when it gets to the cove. So sharpen these flat?

View attachment 180950

Yes If you start sharpening inside the cove you run the risk of changing the profile shape of the cove The inside doesnt do the cutting it is the flat on the back side that cuts. This idea is applied to any scrapers and a beading tool is basically a scraper. Happy Turning. :)

Charlie_W

Here is a pic....as John said, you sharpen the top or back of the beading tool to create the sharp edge where it intersects with the curvature. Note the tool is upside down on the diamond hone to take material off the top.
Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 52D10B96-50B4-4530-86D8-15FCF4248C97.jpg
    52D10B96-50B4-4530-86D8-15FCF4248C97.jpg
    260.9 KB · Views: 133
Top Bottom