Anti-virus programs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

smoky10

My Nortons Anti-Virus subscription is about to expire and I am thinking about going to one of the free ones, like AVG or Avast. I would appreciate the opinion of anyone who has used either of these programs.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've used AVG on all 3 of my home machines for 4 years and have never had a virus. I also use SpyBot Search and Destroy (Free) to eliminate spyware as well as adware.

bjackman

Very similar experience with AVG as Lou. Several years, no viri, "feels" like much less of a system hog than any of the biggies I ever ran. Would recommend it without hesitation.

mick

Connie uses AVG on her home comp and her laptop and has never had any problems. Me on the other hand, I tried it and kept getting a virus. I've found for me that a combination of Nortons and Adaware works. I auto scan mine once a week and run the Adaware every time I reboot.I guess a lot depends on the sites you visit and the type things you download. I do agree with Bill tho ...Nortons can be a system hog!

airrat

I use Norton's (not a huge fan of it) Adware and spybot on my system. I also do NOT use IE anymore for the internet. Too many problems with it. I use Mozilla, virtually NO popups, no malicious spyware and no viruses (knock on wood). I also like some of the stuff mozilla can do. Favorite is what I call "Tab windows", I click the roller ball on something I want to open and it opens it in a tab. I can then look through the tabs, I have had as many as 20 open at one time. There are some negatives, mozilla cannot do some videos and play games on MSN for example.

alamocdc

While free spy and ad ware programs don't bother me, I've always been hesitant to try free anti-virus software. I've been using McAfee for about 10 years now and never had a virus. I consider the annual $30 fee more than acceptable for my peace of mind and system health.

ldimick

I have been in the industry now for 24 years and in my experience the free ones are as good, if not better, than the pay ones. In particular the big ones, Symantec and McAfee have both created their own set of security problems in the past year.

But in a corporate world those two should be the choice as they offer good corporate support and great corporate tools.

But at home I use the freebies already mentioned.

Don't forget that some good software got started as freebies and some software got the start from dubious beginnings. (See McAfee)

Fangar

McAfee online is the way to go. If you have comcast.net you also get a free subscription. You also get the free firewall with that subscription.

Cheers,

Fangar

rfreeouf

I like CA (Computer Associate) E-Trust Anti-Virus Software. I am not a huge fan of Norton or MaCafee. After doing desktop support for over 10 years I hve seen both hose up a PC. I recently switched to the CA Internet Securtiy Suite and have update my subscription with them for the last several years. The Anti-Virus, E-Mail Spam and Spyware programs are excellent. I do not use the Firewall software because I use the one on my Broadband Router.

Any more it seems like Virus run second to Spyware when it comes to messing up a PC. I am not saying that you shouldn't be worried about PC Viruses. I would say that you are more likely to have problems from Spyware. There are several good spyware and anti virus software packages out there. Usally the ones with subscritions will have more timely updates to stay on top the latest viruses or spyware that is out there. The free one are update but sometimes you may have to wait. I some cases for spyware software there are few that provide free updates and new types of spyware show up.

Tanner

Norton System Works, Norton Internet Security and Spyware Doctor. Norton is a system hog, however I like the Utilities that come with SystemWorks. Nice job of cleaning up Registry, Windows and Defrag. Spyware Doctor is a separate program for spyware. It digs those spyware programs right out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom